22 posts in this topic

I have caught lot of Skates in the Assawoman bay the last few years. Why? Where did they come from. As a kid, I don't remember ever catching Skates here.

Can we keep them and eat them?

Do you skin them?:shock:

on food network, I saw them preparing skate wing,,,I could never convince myself to keep one and try it,,,you should see them in the surf during the spring,,,if you used small bait and small hooks, you would catch them non stop,,,one after another,,,enough to drive you insane.

Are the skates and dogfish around in the same numbers as you head into the fall? Does it ever let up? Since I've never fished the fall red drum or striper run - wondering if that season has an easier time with the "undesirables"??? Or is it just as bad?

they never seem to be as bad in the fall

maybe if You-All started keeping some and eatin' them, there'd be less:D

hmmm, maybe Dave could add them to his menu:tongue: as an AI treat:rolleyes:

Hmmm yes Randy - use em up as bar food! What do you think Dave? Skate Poppers? Buffalo Skate? Skate Fries? Skate Burger?

Of course for the dinner menu, we can't forget the famous house specialty "AI Flounder (aka Skate)"

I love Skate, you talk about sweet eatin'!

Coat lightly with olive oil, light flour and pepper and toss in a pan coated with olive oil. Three minutes per side and finish 'em off in the oven.

Darn good!

The meat is up to 9 bucks a pound around here.

good, glad to hear some people eat them. me, Im not a big fish eater. I just like catching 'em:D

I have eaten skate before and if I catch one that is really big I might consider putting it on the plate but they are kind of a pain to clean so its not really worth it for the littler ones

I could never convince myself to keep one and try it

:lol: My dad and I frequently talk about the same thing. I'm like, "dad, you wanna keep that one for the frying pan?" He says, "maybe the next one". :D

Hmmm yes Randy - use em up as bar food! What do you think Dave? Skate Poppers? Buffalo Skate? Skate Fries? Skate Burger?

Of course for the dinner menu, we can't forget the famous house specialty "AI Flounder (aka Skate)"

:D:lol::D

Ya know Sam....

If I fried one up for him, he would eat it.

He likes my grilling....

I'll tell him it's fish until after he tries it....

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oops, you reading this Bud?

hehehe

Sounds good, man. I'll take a skate sandwich if you have one. :-)

Hmmmm - perhaps we can have a new contest at the 2007 spring fling: The first annual Skate eating contest??? Winner gets a prize and the rest of us have less skates eating our bait!!!

I haven't had to much of a problem with ckate this year, think I had more croaker and rays, but now that I said this that is probably all I'll catch for the rest of this year. lmao.

actually the most frustrating time I had was when I got into a mess of HUGE dogfish (upt to 4 foot long fat ones) . Each time I caught one, I'd have to retie and rebait. They were big enough that their rough skin would cause serious abrasion on my line... least the skates are small and don't mess with your tackle. After getting about 8 or 9 of those, I packed it in for the night....

As I said earlier, I went out today and all I caught Were 10 skate and two croaker. talk about ticked off, well at least it was better than nothing.

this site is awsome, i actually just found this from oyster bay's website. i have just recently bought a small bayliner and plan on going off shore. my wife and i have been coming down to ai surf fishing and moving around from inlet to rt 50 bridge to surf. i lived corpse christy texas and down there they fly out a remote airplane to shark fish, i have been pondering a remote boat to get my line out there, i feel like such an idiot for not thinkin of a kayak. this is great, i plan on seeing you all for july's big fish. thanks again for making a great site and i look forward to donating....

the reason i replied to the skates page is because i think they are really becoming a problem even up tide waters such as chop tank, that used to be convent to crab but not any more because of skates...

thanks again

dan

Welcome to the forum Dan, glad to have ya here!

Look at the Skate recipe/cleaning/etc posts in the forum "Cookin' them up".

Skate are very good eatin'.

gotta be great Chark bait, stays on the hook awesome i bet, like pork rinds