J300

Kayak fishing the western-chessie

3 posts in this topic

Since the start of the spring trophy season I've gone out a few times on the potomac in my yak at the 301 bridge, fishing just below it around the plant with negative results. I'm thinking about heading out to the bay. Anyone got a place a kayaker can set out relatively close to a fishing ground?

I kayak around Cove Point to Solomons Island, easy places to launch from for free would be the first parking lot on the right at Solomons. You will see a beach, not very big but its there. Also at Cove Point if you drive all the way to the light house you can park your car/truck on the side of the road and walk your yak to the beach (about 150ft walk). Trolling is the best way to go from Cove Point to Drum Point.

If you don't catch anything you gotta be doing something wrong ;) Before you launch don't forget to check weather conditions and it would be helpful to study some nautical maps of the area you will be kayaking. Free printable maps ( Atlantic NOAA Nautical Charts ) stupid to not use them. Also buoy data is updated faster than weather.com or wherever else you check the weather at as far as wind speeds and water temps go to this link here ( National Data Buoy Center ).

I recommend carrying a radio if you kayak alone, never know when you will get in trouble but it is always nice to be able to call for help. Watch out for wake from the giant cargo ships, if you are not paying attention they will get you, big rollers too.

Also around the Cove Point area, you will find a lot of tug activity. They use the western side when pushing, pulling, or deadheading. There is a lot of activity around the gas dock, stay outside of the white markers!!!! If you go inside them, the CG will visit ya.

You can go out of the cove to the first ridge, check the charts mentioned above. Bait is abundant in the shallows.