Josh451

Surf Casting Set Up

36 posts in this topic

Hi i'm new to the site and was just wondering what all of your surf casting set ups were? Im looking to get a new set up and was wondering what all of yours looked like or what all you had. Any suggestions would be great.

Tight Lines All

First off, Welcome to the board, It is a great place with lots of good info and people! As far as a surf casting outfit, are you looking for spinning or casting? I personally like casting gear a little more over spinning but I use baitcasters for almost all of my fishing I do. I have used/casted several brands of rods and reels... It really depends on what you want to spend. A good value in rods I would say would be the "Ocean Master Rods" from Bass Pro Shops and also TICA rods. As far as reels go, I really like the Daiwa in terms of "bang for your buck" and they really seem to be a well built reel for the money. Again it really depends on what you want to spend and what you are fishing for. You can have a solid surf outfit for 250-270 dollars. Hope my rant was a little help for you and hopefully more of the "veterans" will chime in and give you some more suggestions!

I have found the tica is a great rod for the cost, I use diawa sha 30 reels or abu Garcia 7000 big game reels, hold plenty of line and at a reasonable cost. As for spinning set ups, tica rod again paired with a good diawa emcast 5000 reel. Both setups will run about 275 apiece. As for line I use cajun red 17# test. Very durable and inexpensive.

This year I have my first little money setup from Bass Pro-S, 11' Ocean Master Rods and diawa emcast 5000 they have the combo for 140 on the spring sales, on the paper they say was a 250$ value.

I don't know if the sales still ON !...

You can't go wrong with a 10 foot or longer TICA rod. Tsunami rods are also a great buy.

Bass pro makes a surf rod called an ocean master which is a lot stiffer than the other two listed, they are good for throwing 10's and 12's when conditions call for it.

For reels, I like the shimano baitrunners for a spinning reel. The Okuma Epixor baitrunners are also a good value but may not last as long as the shimano's.

For conventional reels check out these

Penn 525 or Sqaull

Daiwia SHA's

Avet Sx

Abu 6500 or 7000's

The hands down #1 undisputed best line for surf fishing is sufix tritanium plus in either 17 or 20 lb. The problem is that its next to impossible to find.

There really isn't a line I found yet I am I 100% happy with. Like Dave, I been using the Cajun Red because its cheap and gets the job done.

Lots of good advice in this thread. I guess I will add my two cents...or maybe three? :glasses1:

I have three heavers, two of the rods are cheap ones i got from cabelas bargain cave, one is too flimsy for what i like. my favorite by far is the Tica. there are several brands that are real good, it all depends on much you want to pay. if you are just starting out go with the bass pro ocean master. Tsunami, Cast Pro, St Croix are all good brands, but you will sometimes pay more.

as far as the reels go i am a Daiwa fan hands down. i have thrown abu's, penn's, and okumas, my favorite is by far the Daiwa Sealine SL30SH. you can find them on ebay used for decent price, most places do not carry them anymore, i thought they didnt make them, but i was proved wrong by a Daiwa Rep at a fishing expo in San Diego last month, there are other Daiwa's that are nice as well, the Sealine-X SHA's (that several others have mentioned), then there are the saltists and saltigas. like i said it all depends on how much you want to spend.

the big thing to keep in mind is your not going to be able to pick up a conventional heaver and throw it 100+ yards the first time you pick it up. If you are just starting off into the surf scene, get a good spinning set up and learn the basics of throwing. i spent 2 months throwing my heavers every day to get the technique down, and still haven't mastered it.

as far as line goes, i prefer the Berkley big game 15lb or 20lb (depending on the reel) or the Andes 20lb. typically my SL20SH has 15lb on it and the SL30SH have 20lb on it. I know a lot of people swear by the suffix tritanium but my personal opinion on it is that its junk. I have more issues tying knots with it, the line getting nicked or scuffed then the big game or ande's. my biggest issue with the suffix is if you start to blow up the heaver and try to slow it down with your thumb and burn your thumb, you will melt the line and cause weak spots. never had this issue with big game or ande's. plus i think it cast's better.

but like i said, just my two cents.

check out ebay for reels i got 2 penn int 975cs (casting series-no level wind) for 80 bucks each! so dont rule out nice reels! there are plenty of great deals out there! just make sure youre getting what youre paying for. also i really like my 10ft star stellar lite for a " general " use rod in the surf

Tica 12' with a Daiwa Sha 30.

Thanks for all the advice Guys it all helps. Keep It coming. Any pictures would be helpful too

Tight Lines All

Las picture is my favorite!!!

Is not just the " Rookie " - ME -

I still don't know how to use the casting... need to learn. :eusa_dance:

if you are going to get a daiwa sha histackleboxshop.com has them for $119 and the have ande line. thats going to be my new reel and line this year.

Last year i used 20 lb ande line and it was great, better then all the other lines i tried previously.

I can't give you any input on the daiwa sha but when i asked on here what reel should i by the 90% of the posted eather said penn 525 mag or daiwa sha

tackledirect.com has the SHA for $119 and the SL30SH for $109

id say go with either the SL30SH or the SHA 30

Daiwa Sealine-X SL-X30SHA Ultra High Speed Reel

Daiwa SL30SH Sealine SL-H/SG-H Series Reels

i have three SL30SH and one SL20SH. my SL30SH have 20lb line with a 50lb shock. my SL20SH have 15lb line and a 40lb shock.

I caught my 75lb monster cobia off the beach with 20lb Ande's line. i am sold.

Again thanks for all the feed back. I finally got myself a rod I got a Star Stellar 11 foot rod. But im still torn on a reel im in between a penn squall 15 and a Daiwa Sealine. Im more of a Penn man myself but the line capacity is an issue of concern for shark fishing. Any comments would be great

Tight Lines All

Again thanks for all the feed back. I finally got myself a rod I got a Star Stellar 11 foot rod. But im still torn on a reel im in between a penn squall 15 and a Daiwa Sealine. Im more of a Penn man myself but the line capacity is an issue of concern for shark fishing. Any comments would be great

Tight Lines All

If you are going to use it for sharking go with the dawia.

I have a question- I was wondering if everyone else is as lazy as I am. As everyone knows Surfing Fishing is rough on gear, I'm usually replacing stuff everyother year. I know it's because I'm too lazy to clean the salt off the Rods and Reels. When we get back with 6-8 outfits no one feels like cleaning them. What do you guys do? Do you think that just laying them down and squirting them with a hose does much good?

Thanks,

Hulk

get a "clam shell" or fan typ sprinkler lay your gear out and run the sprinkler for a few hrs

images.jpg.da41ae58fc24aa01f3a194d39f26b

I am a Lamiglas and Abu guy myself if I am doing bait, which is infrequent. My favarite setup is the Lami GSB 1502 cut for a heaver matched with the legendary Abu 7500C3CT reel. The other rod I like is the Breakaway HDX with another 7500C3CT reel. Personally these rods load well when I do the pendulum.

My favorite of them for plugging is the Lami GSB1321M and a VS200 . . . great for working jetties and getting distance.

The only reason why I like Penn is they have a lot of cranking power, but I don't know if they have enough line capacity.

I clean my rods, reels, and even the underside of my truck with an insect sprayer tank. Now I changed the nozzle so the spray is direct, which gets the salt out fast. I don't have to fetch the hose and nozzle out that is not near my driveway . . .so is good for me.

get a "clam shell" or fan typ sprinkler lay your gear out and run the sprinkler for a few hrs

Sounds like a weener to me!!

Thanks,

General

it may be a pain but when you start spending money on a good set up you have GOT to clean it off. i prop my up on the fence, the hose is right there so i just spray them down, let them sit while i clean everything else up then they are dry enough to take inside.

if i drive up to AI or down south and im driving on sand, i go to one of them do it your self car washes and spray the vehicle down with the power washer. if you get a good east wind you will have that salty slim on everything. unless of course it pours on the way home (like the last time i came up and fished with sam) then i dont worry about it....

One thing I have found when spraying off my reels is to use the "shower" setting. A direct, strong force of water can actually force sand further into the spool.

HULK no problem buddy see u in the surf ill be the guy with a toothy in my hands