Sandnsurfman

Rt 50 Bridge Rig

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, have learned a lot that has helped me in the surf. I'm planning on hitting the Rt 50 Bridge some this year. Like to get some opinion's on a few things.

1) good rod/reel set up for the bridge. I figure I'll mostly be throwing swim shads, bucktails & gotcha's. I do have a 7t Ugly Stick, would that work with the right reel?

2) Line, I'm guessing something that can take the beating and keep on ticking, something around 25-30lb test?

3) Best place to buy a bridge net?

Thanks Hope to see you on the bridge sometime this year!!

this is a great question! while i have limited experience on the bridge itself some basic tips that apply to pretty much all bridge fishing are...

a longer rod: while you might be able to get away with 7 ft (definitely no shorter!!) youre going to need something long that will protroud out away from the bridge so that if and when a fish runs under the bridge your line isnt rubbing against the side and getting cut up on the concrete

braided line: 30-50# is a must becuase hopefully you'll be catching big fish and not only will braid provide some nice abrasion resistance you can pack alot more heavy braid than you can with its mono counterpart.

tight drag: make sure you got a reel with a decent drag and lock it up! you dont want a fish to run under the bridge and you not only have to fight the fish but also the current.

with all this being said someone may say i am wrong, like i said i dont fish from the bridge much, but i do fish near it and it is a bottom fishing game so make sure you really get a good feel for what is where so you dont get caught up!

hopefully someone will chime in and supplement this info!

Good luck!

Good response, Capt Zach. Definitely want 50lb. Test.

Right on capt zach.

Thanks everyone for their input, Gonna try to hit the beach Sunday/Monday save some of those bigins for me!