Crackerjack

Louisiana Red

8 posts in this topic

I had the opportunity to go work near New Orleans for a few weeks. This is supposed to be a good time of the year for the Redfish here. Scouted around for some bank fishing spots and talked to the locals. Went down to Venice to a nice spot and caught this nice 28" on a gold spinner with plastic jig. The locals all recommended using the popping corks with shrimp. We tried but the fish didn't want it that day. So I switch to the spinner bait and first cast I got a hit and missed it, second cast it barely hit the water and BAM! Line screaming off. Fun on my bass spinning rod. Renting a boat this week and going out with one of the locals. Hopefully I'll have a good post.5852a59d86dcb_LouisianaRed1.jpg.46b958f6

5852a59d8b083_LouisianaRed.jpg.92da11c01

Congrats. There is some really good red fishing in that area. Keep up the good work and keep posting

Thanks guys. Here's what we caught the next day fishing in the jon boat. We were catching both black and red drum in the same area using popping corks and shrimp next to rocks on a channel next to the levy. Kind of weird looking over the levy and down about 20 feet to land.5852a59e1a125_LAfishing.jpeg.18facc145ad

Oh yes, it was a blast. We released more black drum than we kept. The limit is 17" for both the black drum and reds. The locals call the black drum just drum and they call the reds redfish. Popping corks were a fun way to fish. The black drum were very subtle. When they were taking the bait it looked almost like a crab was messing with it. They would pull it slowly and the cork would barely go under, but when the reds hit, they would hit it hard and run. The popping corks are definitely going in my arsenal. Going to Beaufort, SC in June and should find some more good inshore fishing there. Also may go out and try for some bull reds off the Eastern Shore at the shoals this weekend. I've been hearing that the upcoming days around the full moon (15-18) could be some of the best fishing times of the year for the bull reds. Thanks for the replies WD and WhittL. Hopefully I'll have some more pics to post next week.

Thanks for the great report and info.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk