Finaddict

Delaware Surf fishing Report 4/1/11 to 4/30/11

22 posts in this topic

Well Spring has finally Sprung and there has been a few fish landed in the suds. Most have been shorts, but there has been a few keepers taken. It is still a slow bite with the water temps, but that should be changing. Bloods and Clams this time of year works well. If you can get a few fresh Herring, that might help some.

I know quite a few were taken up north with some decent size, but other than that, it is slow.

Feel free to share your fishing reports here.

Go Gettum

A few keeper stripers have been caught in the suds the last couple of days. I wouldn't be surprised if someone sticks a Black Drum shortly. Reports from AI on MD and VA side say "it's on". Flounder have started to show up in good number around the pier area.

Tight Lines

Woohoo! Too long of a Winter for me! Glad to see things starting to get into gear. Fishingirlpa and I are hoping to get down this wknd.

Heading out tomorrow, hope the seas are calmer by then. Will report when I get back

Fished 3R's today, no luck. 1 skate. Was using fresh bunker and sand fleas. Didn't see anyone pull anything in.

There are still reports of sporadic stripers and a few small blues in the suds. There is also flounder being caught from CHSP Pier

There are still reports of sporadic stripers and a few small blues in the suds. There is also flounder being caught from CHSP Pier

Thanks!

Keepers being caught in CHSP on fresh herring and surf clam.

Headed out Friday in the nasty weather. Good stuff, best time to fish IMHO. This was really the first time I have been out on De. beaches. Great cuts on the beach all along the beaches. I picked out a sweet little cut and it produced 8 fish. I largest being 36".

It was crazy, the wind was in your face and when the Stripers hit, early on, they would knock alot of slack in the line. The first one got me completely by suprise. The second time I was kinda ready for it. I will try and post pix later.

By later do you mean after you come back from fishing:icon_tongue:

By later do you mean after you come back from fishing:icon_tongue:
No I mean after I cut the grass and take a nap. I am getting older you know. LOL

What types of rigs and bait are you guys using around this time of the year (April-May) to effectively catch stripers and blues in the suds?

Nice job, Morty! 8 Stripers in one day is sweet!

Highflyty, baits of choice are many. Could be herring, bloodworms, peeler crab, surf clams, bunker, or sand fleas. Two most typical rigs are fish finder and double dropper. As always the fresher the bait the better and rebait often.

I was a wimp and didn't go out Friday..... Figured I'd do keep the wife busy on the ugly day. Went out for two hours Saturday, right at high tide. Nothin.... Nadda..

Went to the early service Easter and headed out for a few hours to enjoy the weather.

First fish of the year a Striper!! Ok half a Striper... 12", but since I got shut out of the linesiders last year I'll take him.... and an hour later a 23" Bluefish....

Both fish were take on cut bunker, Fished bloodworms, and didn't get nothing with them.

Last fall we bought a vacation or as I call it (Fishing) home in Millsboro. Looking forward to spending a lot more time fishing in the Suds this year.

Nice job, Morty! 8 Stripers in one day is sweet!

They all came within 4 hours of one another. I was out there all day sticking sharks and skates. Like I said, beaytiful weather.

I am sorry for the late response to your questions. I was using Herring and Bunker for bait. I use an 8/0 Gami circle hook on a leaders that varied from 4-12 inches, with a Fish Finder rig. I used alot of clams with no takers.

Update tonight was I got some fresh Herring and headed to CHSP Peir. Got there around 5 caught 5 in one hour. Thought it was going to be an epic night, but the bite died and I mean dies around 6 PM. I fished for another 1 1/2 hours without another nibble. No keepers this go round.

They are here, go gettum'

Fished the Pier at CHSP Monday night and Wednesday night. The bite on Monday night was awesome. Everyone was catching flounder. Most on Gulp. Only saw 5 keepers thought. Wednesday night heavy wind, a few flounder caught, and a few blues. Still waiting for the IRI inlet...still quiet down there. Giving it another go on Monday night.

Glad you were able to get out and stick a few. Crazy year once again this year, but I know everyone will make the most of it.

Stripers still being landed, sporatically. A few Blowfish and Sand Perch alond with Flounder are being caught out of the surf.