27 posts in this topic

Shark Reel

I currently have two reels that could be used for shark fishing (except the very big ones). I have a Penn 65 long beach that is spooled with 350 yds of 30#Stren and I have a Penn 545 that is spooled with 420 yards of 20 # Suffix Tritanum. I want to get the biggest reel that can be effectively cast with the highest capacity of line. I do not want to buy new. I have been looking at the auction sites for a bargain. I am looking very hard at the Penn Senator II 113 HLW. This reel can hold 600 Yards of 30# line and only weighs 32 ounces ( about the same as a large spinning reel). It has a very strong frame, 3.25 retrieve and has a aluminum spool that I could mag. I am trying to balance out capacity, cost and weight. I can get a 6/0 LHW for about the same price but it weighs 55 ounces and I think that this would be two heavy for casting. The 6/0 and 9/0 are good reels if you plan to paddle bait out with a kayak.

What I would like to know is if there is anyone who has use the 113HLW for casting. Is there a reel in the 30# class, with high speed retrieve and high line capacity that you would recommend for sharks? Remember I don’t want new and I want the cost under 100 dollars.

You won't be casting with any of those. They are strictly for physically taking the bait out. Those are trolling reels, not made for casting. Try it and you'll get a birds nest. Alas, they are indeed the type we use for Charks. Sam, Coop (I think) and I are using 9/0 Penns as probably others. Personally the minimum I would go with for this purpose is a 7/0 (the 114).

Read through the Beach Sharking section and you'll see what others are using for reels and line. Me, I use the 115L and Ande 60#, about 1000 yards maybe more to the brim.

you maybe able to get a 555gs,,,I think holds 600 yds of 20lb line,,,it is a step up in size from your 545,,,or you can go with a daiwa 40 or 50,,,you maybe able to find one of these used,,,I really think 400 yards is all you are going to really need for sharks for casting,,,the only reason I use the big boys is just due to line capacity for yaking,,,and there is really nothing like being on the edge to keep from getting spooled,,,if your casting say 75 yards, you still have over 325 left in reserve, which I would think would be enough line for any critter,,,unless you have an absolutely monster ray or shark but that just adds to the rush being on that edge.

try to find a daiwa sealine-x 50HV...it holds about 20-30 yards more (600+ of 20#)than the 555gs, and have heard it casts smoother. I have one, and based on preliminary casting, it works like a champ!

i cant wait to start using it in the surf!!!

good luck

Steve

Here is my motivation. I have not met or talked to the owner of this non commercial web site. I used the information here to mag my squidders and got excellent results with out any tweaking to get it right. I have never blow up my squidder even after many many casts. So i figure the info on the 113 and 114 is good as well. we will see.

http://www.bigtimefish.com/tackle/reelMagging/mag_penn113.htm

http://www.bigtimefish.com/tackle/reelMagging/mag_penn114.htm

Below is a catalog of the site owners pictures of fishing trips. lots of great fish pictures including many sharks.

http://www.bigtimefish.com/catches/catches.htm

He cast his 114. I figure that I could mount the 113HLW on my Ocean Master Cape Point Special and spool it with 30-40 pound test. If I can get eighty Yards from the beach with a eight ounce sinker and bait I will think that will do for any coast I might fish.

If I am wrong I will mount the 113HLW on my Beef Stick that I use for trolling. Currently my Penn 65 does double duty between my surf rods and my trolling rods.

you can cast a 4/0 (113), 6/0 (114) but it takes A LOT of practice and is very uncomfortable being so big. I know of some guys that do it. I think the best reel for casting would be the diawa SHV 50.

I know of the magging of the reels, haven't done it though.

I just find it difficult to believe that anyone can get a 4-5 lb piece of meat, a big weight and heavy line any distance.

Sure, there are plenty of Chark to be had on the back of the surf break at night, but I just can't see myself chunking anything with all that stuff on the end of the line and a 6' pole.

But hey, I am more than willing to learn by trying it on your setup.:D

By all means, make a believer outta' me!

Steve

I do hope that I can meet you and some of the other people I have met on this forum. You are welcome to cast any of my rods. I am not thinking about putting a five pound Bonita on #21 hook and trying to cast it into the surf. At 6’5” tall and 250 pounds I am strong but not that strong. If I used a whole Bonita, I would get a 9/0 with a boat rod and use my Tarpon 160 to paddle the bait out 200yds. Or maybe get my supervisor to swim it out.

I am talking about a light to medium shark rig. Some thing you can cast. ( I might get the 9/0 latter). I think I might be able to cast a eight ounce sinker and a four ounce piece of Bluefish or Bonita. My OC CPS can handle that OK. If I wish I can paddle out a larger piece of bait with my Tarpon 160. The 113HLV does hold 600yds of 30 pound line. I will at least have a better chance of pulling in a shark with that reel than I will with a Penn 525.

I am trying to keep cost down. I want something under 100 dollars that will work on some sharks and other species. If I buy a 9/0 I will have to pay 100 for the reel at auction but I will still have to buy a rod. Add another 100. I will also not be able to use the hooks that I use for stripers. I will have to buy wire and hooks ad the stuff to make sinkers. I will have to get one of those fighting belts. The list goes on.

If I buy a 113HLW for 100 I can be in the sand with a wet line. Yes I might get spooled but those are the chances you take.

you don't cast 4-5 lbs. just a normal load and on normal heavers. fighting belts can be had for like $15.

I wouldn't consider a Penn 113 normal for heaving. Doable? Yes. Normal? No, at least not yet.... Why put a small 4 oz bait on it? Skates will eat it up. If ya got the big reel, give 'em some bait.

And yes, at night time I do put that much meat on something to toss behind the surf break, keeps the Skate and smaller stuff from swallowing it.

I use a 6.5' boat rod with a big Diawa spinning reel and 65# braid. There are some large critters right behind the break.

A penn 8500 or 9500 spinner works pretty well for casting half or whole spot/bunker without the nest ups. Couple it up with an extra heavy rated heaver and your in buisness. :cool:

hmmm - got an 8500 - would love to pick up one of those OM 12 (6-12 oz).....anyone got one they want to get rid of cheap? :)

You can always use a short, stout rod such as a 7' for the 8500.

I use a like-sized Diawa (65# braid) on a 6.5 and can put a massive hunk out into the first trough. This would fill the needs of the OP.

Hmm - I wanna get a boat spinning rod to use for blues and stripers from the boat anyway - was thinking of a 6.5 or 7foot rod for that too. You think i could get something that would work for both? Open to suggestions - if its cheap enough, i may pick one up when i go down there. Currently all I have is 1 10ft 2-8oz (cabelas) and 1 12ft 4-7oz(sealine) - I wouldn't call either one a true "heaver" - they both barely lob 8oz - but then again - I only will be using 17lb running line, so i probably need a soft tip to keep the fish from breaking off :)

In all seriousness, Randy has more rods than probably anyone else here.

I'm positive you can find a double-duty rod, let's see what he's got laying around to recommend.

You can always use a short, stout rod such as a 7' for the 8500.

I use a like-sized Diawa (65# braid) on a 6.5 and can put a massive hunk out into the first trough. This would fill the needs of the OP.

I like that idea. Better leverage with a shorter rod too. The eyes are made for a conventional reel, but it aint like we are finesse distance casting for those toothies. :lol:

I find it strange that a Penn 8500 and a 9500 were recommended for sharks along with a Penn 9/0. How much 30 pound mono can you load on a 9500. Answer = 300 yds of 30# test How much does it weigh. Answer = 32 ounces. Why is it that a Penn Senator II 113HLW is not recommended. For the same weight I can have twice as much line on the 113HLW. I am thinking that the drag is much more robust on the senator than on the 9500. The 113HLW holds 600 yards of 30 pound test and has a very ridged frame, good HT-100 drag, Stainless steel ball bearings, Aluminum spool, 3.3 to one retrieve and is light at only 32 ounces. Cost under 140 new and under 80 like new at auction. Looks like a good reel to me. I will say I do not know if it is going to be as good a casting reel as is needed even after I put two ½ rare earth magnets on the reel. However if it is not good at casting I will put it on my 6’ beef stick that is rated for 20-50# test and use my kayak to paddle the bait out 200 yds. I can also use this setup on my friend’s boat. I do like the 9/0 and will get one some day with a matching rod.

If I wanted something for casting I would get the daiwa 50. much better to cast with and holds just shy of 600 yds. of 20 lb. mono. anything that requires 30 lb. line your not gonna want to fight on a 12' rod anyway. I have the penn113HLW (4/0 wide) and I think of it strickly as a yakin reel or pin rigging reel, perfect for both. for casting I wouldn't use more than 25 lb. line.

If I wanted something for casting I would get the daiwa 50. much better to cast with and holds just shy of 600 yds. of 20 lb. mono. anything that requires 30 lb. line your not gonna want to fight on a 12' rod anyway. I have the penn113HLW (4/0 wide) and I think of it strickly as a yakin reel or pin rigging reel, perfect for both. for casting I wouldn't use more than 25 lb. line.

Please explain to the cracker what is a yanking or pin rigging reel.:P

In all seriousness, Randy has more rods than probably anyone else here.

I'm positive you can find a double-duty rod, let's see what he's got laying around to recommend.

:lol: thanks Steve but other than my 2 new surfin' outfits, all the rest of my gear is boat related. I do have 5 trolling rods 'n reels, 2 Penn 114's and 3 cheapie BPS "captians choice" set-ups but nothing I would consider "beach Charkin' outfits":D + I don't yak baits

hmmm, you know, your making me go shopping this weekend:tongue:

Ya know, maybe I'll meet ya there.....

But that's a PM issue....

:lol: gotcha', gonna' drop-off the boat at Jenkins in Glen Burnie saturday morn' and I have to go pass Arundel Mills Mall to go home, Soooooo........:D

Mind your wallet when you go to Arundle Mills. That Bass Pro Shop has a tendency to suck the money out of your wallet as you walk by. I know I only live two miles away.

Mind your wallet when you go to Arundle Mills. That Bass Pro Shop has a tendency to suck the money out of your wallet as you walk by. I know I only live two miles away.

Well-Hell, stop on by saturday. a few of us are meeting-up and going to-do a group purchase:D

Yeah, a bunch of shark reels.....

Lemme' see, how about that Penn 117.....