iandaws55

Rigs

11 posts in this topic

Can you guys direct me to any resources for making my own surf rigs? I live in TN and make my way to the Eastern Shore 5-6 times a year for some fishing. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance and FYI: I have learned ALOT from reading comments on this website over the last few years. You guys are a great source of information for people who are not right on the beach. I can only fish lakes for so long until I need to get to Assateague!

Hey man welcome to the board. You are right there is a lot of good info on this site. as far as surf fishing goes there are a bunch of different types of rigs you can use. it mainly depends on your style of fishing. if your going after small stuff i would recommend a bottom rig or some sort of double dropper rig with bait. if you have a big rod (aka heaver) you can use what we call a fish finder rig. i have attached a picture of a typical fish finder rig. it doesn't have to be exactly like this, just use the picture as a reference.

drumrig.jpg.ae06443be0366f0a80c7c9e69657

this is a link to an article Sam wrote awhile back, he mainly talks about spring fishing but some of the info applies to all season long:

http://www.atlanticanglers.com/fishing-articles/8386-surf-fishing-spring.html

iandaws55 you are more then welcom to PM me. i would be happy to meat up with you and go fishing on AI. ill show you what i know, and well wet somr lines. i use the finder rig. with a good knot the rig could tow your truck! what kinda game are you looking to get into? ther are too menny rigs for someny fish knowing what you want to get will help with what rig most people have secsess with

iandaws55 you are more then welcom to PM me. i would be happy to meat up with you and go fishing on AI. ill show you what i know, and well wet somr lines. i use the finder rig. with a good knot the rig could tow your truck! what kinda game are you looking to get into? ther are too menny rigs for someny fish knowing what you want to get will help with what rig most people have secsess with

I'd be careful getting together with a guy who wants to "MEAT up" with me. ;)

Well I spent last summer figuring things out. We pulled in a few decent sharks and a wide range of other fish... but honestly I wasnt targeting anything in particular. That is where my inexperience comes into play. The sharks were a great time to catch and I have a pretty good understanding of what we need to use to target them, but i'd like to get into striper and blues. My buddy and I generally talk to the guys at Bucks before we go out to Assateague to see if we are on the right track.

iandaws55 you can't go wrong with the fish finder rig it's the most popular set up out there most people will use that set up to fish from reds, rocks, blues the big ones and anything in between it's an easy rig to tie up on the beach and hard to mess up.. Good luck

When your in the area, pm me, I have met up with plenty of new members on this site. as for Jon's spelling pay no mind to it. no one is perfect. I am no expert on striper or blues but have caught my fair share, shark on the other hand is an area I know quite well. many caught over 7 ft all on casted gear. is be glad to share my knowledge to any member of this site.

lets just leave the meat out of it ............. im jon by the way