12 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am taking my 2005 23' proline with a single 200hp merc w/ a 90 gallon tank down to O.C. for vacation for 2 weeks starting July 22. I would love to get into some fish other than the usuals by me(sandy hook, NJ)-blues,stripers,summer flounder, etc...

My question to you guys is where can I go with my boat during my stay and what will be in the area? All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to our forum!

There are several areas offshore that offer other species for your pleasure. There are the reefs, artificial and natural, the wrecks, lumps, holes, etc.

Most all of these are on charts and the bite will vary from time to time.

Best thing to do is check just before you head down to see where the action is, or the particular species you want to target.

The water temps will change between now and 7/22 so it will affect fishing.

Coop and his Pop go out there, I'm sure he will post a report when he gets out there... A few other folks here go also, they'll post.....

Ah, then there are always the weed lines....:D

thanks guys. I dont really have the experience or gear for tuna, but dolphin would be nice. is there a range of water temps to look for the dolphin?

Optimal temp for Dolphin is 72-78 with the avoidances being 70 and 82.

Look for floating weeds or debris and troll the edges of a weedline, or pitch bucktails. When you hook one up, get it to the boat and leave it on the hook in the water. The whole school will stick around and you can just pick 'em off one by one.

Man I love fishin for Mahi!!

I am learning more on this site (ironically I'm the site admin) than I have learned on any other fishing forum. This is so cool. Thanks for the info guys.

Just my opinion, I have gained a lot of knowledge from Lynn at Delmarva Sport Center in Ocean City. They are located just West of the Rt. 50 Bridge next to Royal Farms. Tell him Sam sent you in for fishing information and if he's in a good mood, he'll "hook" you up with everything you need for a successful offshore fishing trip.

Another thought: If you wanted to go out for tuna, I have spreader bars, daisy chains, birds, sideriggers and 50lb class tackle ready to go.

I'd be happy to hop aboard and teach you some rigging, and show you some good spots.

And hey, if ya need some dolphin rods I have some, not heavy nuff for tuney though.

:!: Bohica, just tell me when, man, I'm there!

I'll pitch in for the gas, bait and whatever else I screw up while on board. :D

Another thought: If you wanted to go out for tuna, I have spreader bars, daisy chains, birds, sideriggers and 50lb class tackle ready to go.

I'd be happy to hop aboard and teach you some rigging, and show you some good spots.

X's 2 I'll be down for my 10 days of vacation starting aug 3rd. if your still in OC, maybe we can hook-up:D

hey bohica and sam, that sounds like we may have a plan. when we get closer to the trip ill get back to you guys with my info. I have no experience with offshore trips and would welcome the learning experience. It would be nice if we could get a another boat to buddy with us. I am definatley interested. I will be staying at a place on the bay with the boat in a slip for the 2 weeks. I may have my brother in law for a couple of days but otherwise its just me and my family out of which only my 7 year old son fishes.(no offshore with him) So, if a couple of you guys want to hook up and go out thats great. I dont drink(anymore) but I am cool with you guys if you want to onboard.

I am definately looking forward to learning about fishing offshore.

Ok, sounds good. BUT - If you decide that you do want to go out for BFT, you need to get your federal permit from http://www.nmfspermits.com/

They're $22 and cover your boat for the year. I'm taking vacation either the week of the 17th or 24th depending on weather. During July NMFS has their bonus program, and smaller sizes are keepers....so take advantage of it if you can. You can get me at redasys@rcn.com, or 610.517.0854

I look forward to hearing from you.