fishingeverynight

Flounder reg proposals!!!!!

9 posts in this topic

"MEETING HELD TO DISCUSS 2011 FLOUNDER OPTIONS

February 11, 2011 - On Wednesday, February 9th, representatives from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources met with local recreational and commercial fishermen to outline the 3 size and creel proposals being considered for the 2011 season. The vote among the attendees was pretty much evenly split between the 3 options.

Option 1 - 18.5" minimum size; 3 fish per person; 4/17-11/22

Option 2 - 18.5" minimum size; 3 fish per person; NO CLOSED SEASON

Option 3 - 18" minimum size; 3 fish per person; 4/17 - 11/22

Maryland will have a recreational target of 101,000 fish in 2011. This is an increase of 62,668 fish versus the 2010 estimated catch of 38,332. Option 1 is estimated to result in 61,715 fish harvested. Option 2 is estimated to result in 74,747 fish harvested and Option 3 is estimated to result in 88,547 fish harvested.

Anglers still have time to comment on the above proposals by submitting written comments to: <A href="mailto:fisheriespubliccomment@dnr.state.<acronym title=" Maryland?>md</ACRONYM>.us">fisheriespubliccomment@dnr.state.<ACRONYM title=Maryland>md</ACRONYM>.us by February 28."

Coastal Fisherman - Sportfishing and Boating Newspaper in Ocean City, Maryland

I personally like #2 but thats just me...i dont understand why they have 1 and 2 cause they are pretty much the same but 2 and 3 are both good in my book!

Any other thoughts?

2 & 3 any will be great !!!

even know I didn't got my first yet, but is coming I know is coming ... LOL :D

MARCH 29, 2011 — The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Fisheries Service announces the 2011 recreational summer flounder regulations to include a three-fish creel limit, an18-inch minimum size limit (an inch shorter than last year) and a season to run April 16 through November 30.

“Due to continued increases in the coastwide summer flounder stock and Maryland’s success in staying at or below the fishing target in 2010, summer flounder anglers will enjoy increased access to summer flounder in 2011,” said DNR Fisheries Director Tom O’Connell. “Our choice of regulation is a direct result of our biologists working together with our anglers to enact regulations that work toward the coastwide rebuilding schedule, while providing quality fishing opportunities to our fishermen.”

A public notice announcing the 2011 regulations was published on March 26. DNR would also like to remind fishermen that the size limit also applies to summer flounder caught by commercial hook and line and is effective April 16.

DNR is encouraging anglers to participate in the fisheries management process by joining the volunteer angler survey. Anglers who join the survey will become eligible to win a rod and reel combo donated by All Tackle.com, a fishing tackle retailer with superstores in Annapolis, Ocean City and online. Go to Maryland Volunteer Angler Surveys | Maryland Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Service to participate.

In addition, any angler who catches a flounder measuring 24 inches or longer and registers it as a citation award eligible fish will receive free admission to the grand finale of the 2011 Maryland Fishing Challenge during the Maryland Seafood Festival at Sandy Point State Park on September 10. Simply bring your eligible fish to an authorized citation award center (certain tackle shops and charter boats) to receive your entry ticket and invitation for you and your family to the event....

sounds good to me lol...i can deal with a flounder size thats smaller that last year:happy3:

a step in the right direction!

i still wish they would let you keep 1 over 14" and 2 over 18". At least I then have a decent shot of keeping one from the surf.

Finally, DE just lowered their limit. Maryland and DE have the same size limit....

im just happy we have a smaller size and an actual logical season....2 years ago to me it seemed like they only had it open for tourists which i guess was all fine and dandy but i just hate catching a 25in flounder and having to throw it back because the season is expired...lol well gl to all on landing some door mats this year!!!