greenmtnman

Ultralight Setup for Bay Fishing

5 posts in this topic

Hi All-

Last year in Ocracoke, I fished the bay side of the island (from shore + kayak) for the first time in earnest.

I was happily rewarded with about ~15 6-11" puppy drum, couple of nice flounder , and 2 good sized skates (which from the surf can be annoying, but in the bay on light tackle...wow) among other various other unknown small fish- all in one day!!!

We went back several times to different spots and each time between me and my fiance' caught 4-10 little drum.

I was fishing with a 7ft light action rod with 4lb test and it was literally one of the best fishing weeks of my life (we did well this year from the surf too).

What a blast.

So now I'm looking to scrap the cheap graphite shakespear rod I was using ($20 at walmart) for something of higher quality. Since I fish with the ultralight the majority of the time inland, I don't mind spending some money on this, if it's going to last AND it's worth the money.

Something in the lines of fenwick, st. croix, shimano, G. loomis (yeah right) etc. Or something cheaper, I don't care. I just want something pretty nice, rated for about 2-8# test. The rod will never see more than 6#. I almost excusively use 4#

Probably in the $75-100 range.

Will need a reel to match, I've had great luck with quantum and penn. will definately consider others though.

Thanks-

My reccomendation would be to make sure your reel is a salt water reel.(The ones from Walmart are not).Like the sargasso,by Shimano.I use the ugly stick rods as I am hard on rods and they seem to be unbreakable,and the price is more reasonable than the high dollar ones you mention.Over the years I have a lot of penn rods and reels ,mostly offshore and bay trolling stuff.And they have never failed me.I buy the best reels My budget allows ,and mid-priced rods.

I know it's been a while since I posted this, but I'm no closer to the answer than I was when I did.

I had a chance to hold a W&M signature Blair Wiggins rod and I really liked it. They make a really light version of it. But at $99 it's definately not cheap.

Thanks for the reply-

All depends on what your budget can handle,There is always something made of more high tech materials,therefore high cost.Again $100 dont go as far as it used too....

I wanted to drag this back to the top to say that I purchased a cabelas mag-touch 6' 6" Light action rod for $35 in the bargin cave here in WV. I couldn't resist since it's a $100 rod normally. I was worried it would be a little short for my liking, but I love it, super sensitive, 8 eyes, cast beautiful for being such a light rod. I had no problem tossing 1/2 oz with it.

See my fishing report for the drum I caught using it and 6lb test.

Reel will come next spring. Right now using a cheap $30 quantum. Probably get a small penn sargus or similar, simply out of habit.