29 posts in this topic

Should we have a seperate forum for site supporters? Before I give my opinion, I would like to get everyone elses. :confused:

I see no problem, unless info gets posted there which really should be in a public forum, like a report or something.

Keep it open thats what PM's are for. And that way no one feels out of place like I said before this site feels like home to me and I don't want to see anyone get the ideal that it's not that way here. just my 2 cents... :)

I can see both sides of this idea -however, I would think that closing off any part of the site to supporters only would change the perceived tone of the forum for the worse.

I too, see both sides....

Maybe just use it for mods to discuss non-operational bling?

Speaking of that, hows that moderator only forum coming along fellas?

Hehehehe:rolleyes:

All squared away now.

I think it just takes away from the forum,,,the forum is for everyone and I see it as one the best sites around,,,we shouldnt exclude anyone,,,I think everyone here who participates are site supporters,,,if you are looking for an increase in donations to help with the site, maybe just give a shirt or something similar for a certain size donation.

BTW Sam, I really like "a member owned site"

The forum has been a large project lately. It was pulled together in a new software package in the last 24 hours, msgs imported, many, many learning curves and problems and many things left to be taken care of.

A little patience, appreciation and reservation would be in order.

The forum has been a large project lately. It was pulled together in a new software package, msgs imported, many, many learning curves and problems and many things left to be taken care of.

A little patience, appreciation and reservation would be in order.

The new forum looks great. Thanks for all the work, seriously. :)

You definately work for the government dude. :P

I just really don't know how to take that....:confused:

There are two distinctly different segments of the Gov't. Those that don't care and don't work and those that work, care and get stomped on....:D

Dont mind me man, I'm all talk and BS...:lol: ....sometimes :cool:

Dont mind me man, I'm all talk and BS...:lol: ....sometimes :cool:

Chomper, just to give you an idea of what I've been through lately.... Our previous site was hacked and I had to work since Thursday morning to get our messages and pictures back. Believe it or not, becoming a mysql database and php master in 3 days is quite a challenge. The new forum software cost $220.00 that came from the donation fund.

I was testing the avatar function and found a cool looking shark on a free avatar site. I had totally forgotten it was the one you had been using. There are a lot of moderators that haven't gotten their privileges back yet just because I haven't gotten to them yet.

I like having you on the site and you come up with some funny stuff sometimes. Please be patient with the site and we'll get ya squared away.

Now, where did I put my Xanax... :rolleyes: :razz:

I have seen forums that have private forums for site supporters. I think you all are right about keeping this a public forum.:redface:

Thanks 4 all the work that and effort you guys put into this site!I struggle with this compootor stuff, But if there is any way I can help let me know.You said the site was hacked?I receaved a email that said someone is attempting to access my paypal account,I do not have a pp account. Thinking back I think I used pp to make my donation to the site by giving pp my creadit card #.Should I be worried?

Dave,

From time to time we all get the Paypal pfishing email. Don't ever click on those links, just delete it. Paypal doesn't send mailings like that.

What you and others can do is open a new browser window and TYPE IN paypal and go in that way to check your account.

Firefox offers extensions that will read the real url of a site and present the name to you. Spoofstick is ONE on the proggies but doesn't work with the latest FF yet, but it will. Check for others. I do not know if MS IE has any such features, I don't use it.

You can roll the mouse over the link in those paypal mailings and see that the link isn't paypal.

Be careful out there ya'll!

Thanks 4 all the work that and effort you guys put into this site!I struggle with this compootor stuff, But if there is any way I can help let me know.You said the site was hacked?I receaved a email that said someone is attempting to access my paypal account,I do not have a pp account. Thinking back I think I used pp to make my donation to the site by giving pp my creadit card #.Should I be worried?

I'm on other forums and it seems the guys are less likely to help those who aren't members and don't contribute on a regular basis. I think it sucks and really causes more problems then it's worth, it creates a split in the member base. I think PM's can be used in that case anyway, I'm talking about GPS coordinate exchanges etc. You wouldn't want to show up and have 8 guys in your spot. However, your coordinates would be safe with me, I've had mine for 4 years and have managed to program my starting position successfully only once! I assume the new models are more user friendly.

Because AI is so touristy (myself included) it's good to have open exchange IMO, the people in your spot will be gone soon enough. It's better to have them fishing successfully then tearing up the dunes anyway. More visitors = more money = better maintenance and more supervision (in theory anyway).

Looks like the concensus is in and I agree. Perhaps we should totally disable the private forum. Not that it's visible to everyone anyway but just to "make room" and close the discussion about it.

Thats a lot of work Sam. Thanks for the board. :):cool:

I agree that it should be kept open....I know I am fairly new to the site and I am not the biggest contributor but this is the best site I have seen and the reason I think so is that it is open and anyone can find help, provide help, or just learn a little more about fishing on Delmarva. my 2 cents.

EVERYONE'S opinion counts!!!

We wouldn't be here if it were not for ya'll!

I'm going to pipe in here just a bit.....On my forum I have a board titled "Hot Spots" The ultimate goal for that board is to allow people to pass along GPS coords etc without the whole world having access to them. The pre-requisite is not being a supporter monitarily (only because my site doesn't cost me anything to run) but to be a supporter information wise. I have recently taken the time to lock down my site, so you have to be a registered user to read the forums. Granted my site is small, but I could watch probably 15-20 different unregistered people trolling my site on a daily basis. I am very forthcoming with information when I post a report on one of my trips, the least the people could do is register and make themselves known. Oops, let me get off my Soap Box quick, I guess my response would be sure, its ok to have a private forum, as long as it isn't where 90% of the information is. But it is handy to have a place for the internal core group of supporters (whether monitary or information) to put out that little bit of information they may not want every swinging richard out there to have.

That is a good point, Jeff. I suppose private forums can be used for different purposes. I think for now, The PM option is sufficient for our site. :)