Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AIslandGuy

AI Camping - Walk In

5 posts in this topic

Have any of you guys on here ever camped at any of the walk on sites behind the OSV area? Assateague is so difficult to get sites in at time, i was thinking of reserving one of those sites in the upcoming weeks. If i were to stay out there, i woudl probably be able to get maximum fishing time in. Do you guys know about the rules for staying on those sites?

you should be able to get sites at the regular campground this time of year.

Best to call before....

Ii found this information on the park site:

Assateague Island State Park

Family camping open 4/28/2010 to 11/1/2010

Youth group camping open 4/28/2010 to 11/1/2010

Campsites can be reserved from April 28, 2010 through October 11, 2010 and for E, F, G, H and J loops through November 1, 2010. October 12-24, 2010 is first come first served for A, B, C, D, and I loops.

By this information the camping season is over, but double check...

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/eastern/assateague.asp

i went camping for the first time at AI last weekend. I called the ranger Thursday night regarding the camp sites and he suggest that I come early on Friday. He said if I come at night on Friday, the drive in camp sites will most likely be full. I arrived Friday night at 11 and a lot of the spots were available.

This time of the year, its first come first serve but you should not have any problem getting a spot. I stayed there for 3 nights and it was $46 for camping fees and car entrance fee. I definitely recommend the drive in vs walk in, you can park next to your tent and walk a very short distance with your cooler + tackle and fish for the whole day. feel free to pm me if you have questions.

oh make sure you go to the national seashore side for camping and for fishing, make sure you register with https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/ before you leave for your trip (recommended by the park ranger and he said no fishing license is not required).