17 posts in this topic

Hey all, i think i have talked to a few of you guys on other forums about a year ago

Well anyway I'll be in north Bethany july8 to july16. Every year I stay with my family at Bethany beach, and basically fish the entire time.

Last year i hooked into some big fish that my gear couldnt handle, But this year i come prepared with a 6500 baitrunner for catching smaller stuff, and then a Daiwa Sealine-x 50HV (caster) on a 12 foot Ocean master extra heavy rod for the sharks.

I'm rigging my shark rigs up now, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to approach my beach week, and what I should be expecting.

For any of you who shark fish- i would love to fish with you and learn from the true pros! I also probably have a few rigging questions for you.

If anyone wants to fish with me or help me out, message me on here or email me at b23ball23fisher@hotmail.com

Here is the rig that I have been making:

sharkrig1-1.jpg

its based on the Texas shark fishing website design

BEN

GOD BLESS

ok, i'll check it out, thanks

so do you reccomend the haywire twist over the crimps?

again, thanks for the help

BEN

GOD BLESS

Some charter guys I know recommend the twist, I'll start doing it after I use up what I already have made up.

if you use cable or any stranded wire, you crimp it. if you use hard wire or single strand, you twist it. cable has a lot more flex to it, if you put a "kink" in hard wire it becomes a weak spot and is about useless.

Hi Ben. That rig should work for ya. Good luck out there.

I have a couple random questions for you guys:

hello,

Couple of random surf fishing questions:

I always try to catch my bait.....and i caught hundreds of croaker last year....

are they running this time of the year, and are they considered good sharkin bait?

How/ when do you set the hook on a shark with a j hook or circle? I dont know if you let him run with it or just cross his eyes as soon as you pick up the rod

how far back do you put your sand spikes from the water? I always seem to be messing around with my spikes for too much time due to the water coming up too close

thanks for all the help, sorry for all the questions

BEN

GOD BLESS

Hey Ben,

croaker is good bait, dont think they are really in the surf yet, but I think someone posted that they caught a couple in the surf,,,kings are good baits as well.

when I here the rod zinging, I pick up the rod and try to set the hook,,,sometimes I am doing something else, playing in the water with the kids or fishing for something else or just relaxing in the chair,,,sometimes it take me a bit to get to the rod,,,most of the time with sharp hooks, the shark seems to get hooked without me even setting the hook.

my spikes are generally at the high tide line,,,as the tide goes out, I do move them up a bit, but when I am running 4 rods in the fall or spring, they stay put,,,for sharking, I only run 2 rods which are short 6' rods and move them as the tide goes out.

Hey just wondering if any one has ever tried some different methods of getting your line out besides kayak's or kites? Also how does the kite method work? I guess the wind would have to be blowing off the land which means being attacked by the sand flies and mosquitoes.lmao.