Rowe

Specks?

23 posts in this topic

What have yall been having better luck with in fishing for the speckles? Fresh bait, live bait, or artificial? I've been catching a fair share so far on fresh caught mullet but no good keepers this year yet. When I've got some live mullet, my leader doesn't so far hit the bottom before I have a nice hit and have materialized quite a few with the live ones. I've been fishing Lynnhaven and Rudee Inlets recently and was wondering if anyone else was having decent luck here or anywhere else in the area.

I've been catchin keepers for going on 2 months now. Artificials, slow retrieve, early morning, on any wind but north.:evil6: man it was hard to tell all that!!!!!! clear.gif

You must be fishing north of the hrbt/cbbt.

I caught 15 this morning at the Lesner that were all under 14" with 3 or 4 that were close to keepers but they all went back. The river is full of them right now from the back to the inlet. I thought I had Speckasaurus but it wound up being a little 17 1/2" bulldog that looked like a Puppy Drum. All fish were taken on a 3/8 oz. red leadhead and a 4" rootbeer/chartruese grub until they took the tail off of it and then I switched to a 4" salt & pepper/chartruese grub that was the one that found the Pup. The fish were on the bottom and top of the water column today but most of the others I've caught were caught right on the bottom fishing sloooooow.

Fish the shallow waters in the morning and deeper water very slow. Once the flats warm up if the sun is out around 11 ive had good luck with a pretty aggressive retrieve. I am north and the little ones are thinning out. We have more constant catches of nicer fish right now. they should be to you soon by the looks of the temp forecast.

Sounds great, my lucks been getting better, but back and forth on a daily basis. On sunday, I landed 15 specks and 7 flounder, only one of which was a keeper and it was a trout at 17". But it was definately was fun catching them. Yesterday was looking good at lesner as within 3 min of being there, I hooked a speck on my bait caster, while at the same time my other rod with a double drop with fresh mullet caught a speck and a flounder at the same time. Then I fished for abouut 3 more more hours......NOTHING. It was looking so good when I caught 3 fish at one at the same time with 3 min of being there. Always a next time

Sometimes they bite just enough to make you stay all day in that one spot........thats fishin. hoping to get out this weekend if this wind lays down. The were talking about a SW wind. SW wind = good specks.

I'll be trying it myself tomorrow on the Elizabeth and the spot is full of cob mullet so the cast net will go with me in order to get some Drum bait for saturday night and sunday at sandbridge.

I'll expcet to see some reports on monday good or bad and good luck to all, catch'm up fellas !!

Steve I just saw this but I went Speck fishing on the Elizabeth Saturday via the yak. Caught a few small ones and this guy that hit a Mirrolure Top Dog right at sun-up. Sunday the S/W wind was a little "un-drummy" so the wife and I rode bikes to False Cape on the inside roads and the beach on the way back where we picked up 10 nice Conch shells that were all practically perfect. Here's the Speck.

IMGP2970.JPG.c5dac32eceb0d0d046d069ec870

You ready to do the speck shuffle at the ususal spot here soon? Mark got a whole bunch of shorts last two times out there, gotta be some bigger ones in the mix soon!

Fished there 3 times myself this season and nothing but shorts so far as well. Talking to the retired regulars, Fred, Freddy, Don etc. there has been a few nice ones caught just not as many. I'm waiting for the weather to get "unscrewed" with the current spell of Indain Summer and strong S winds and after that I'll be there and outside the bridge in the mornings looking for Mr. Rockfish, maybe Thursday.

im not sure what a keeper spec looks like! can you guys help me out?

In my best Monday night football imitation ............ "Come-on-man"

I gave you a picture and everything :lol:

That's a 22.5" fish btw

Get a decent pair of waders, 7' rod with a spinner that's loaded with 10 lb. test braid and give me a call. I fish usually wade-fish before or after work on the weekdays and from the yak or beach on the weekends.

JB, we slayed them last night. pretty steady all night once it got dark, but the last hour of incoming tide was insane. every cast we were getting multiple hits. only a few keepers though, i stopped tagging because i was tired of walking back and forth to my stuff. didnt' get home till 130ish AM. damn im tired today.....

Pretty work, glad you were rewarded for your efforts. That's one "L" of a spot and it has been for a while. It just seems that the schools which are hanging there this year are all smaller ones but it still beats the skunk.

With the hard weather change that's in process right now maybe their big brothers will start to show, water temps still in the mid 60's so a few more degrees of drop should turn them on like it always has. I know they're around because a good freind of mine had a 8 lb'er for dinner the other night that came out of a net from just up the beach.

I was considering trying it before work tomorrow but with the weather guessers talking about 15-20 and gusts to 30 from the N/W starting tonight that would be somewhat futile.

Try not to catch them all up and leave a few for us old farts

ill save you guys some if you share some other spots with me :)

JB..remember AK is the one with a cobia from the beach, not us...dont think he needs our help anymore! Keep them spots to us old folk, let them young whippersnappers find there own spots!:icon_tongue:

Andrew, ride that horseshoe while ya can and pretty work! I'm just jealous!!!:binkybaby:

Steve we all get lucky, heck I blind-squirreled a citation Flounder off the beach at Lynnhaven earlier this summer.

I'll never tire of having someone follow me into the spots, that's the way I "found" most of them myself and i'll always enjoy fishing with someone else that shares the love, passion and enthusiasm for the sport that I have whether it's an 80 yr. old retired guy like Fred or even the young whippersnappers.

By the way I stood in the washing machine at the bottom of the bridge this morning before sun-up and even though the water conditions were near perfect as far as the outgoing current flattening out the swells made from the strong incoming wind the fish weren't there yet.

Too early in the season and the water is still a little warm but it was nice being there all alone to watch the sunrise tossing old Mr. Wiffle in search for Striped ones.

horseshoe???? i think it got thrown away with the carcass of that cobia when i had it cleaned, i can't seem to catch @#$@# anymore. well im catching just nothing i can bring home to momma. :)

I started to go out his AM, but it was brrrrrrr cold!

Mr. Wiffle still around....NICE!

fished again last night on the duck inn side, trout didn't seem to be there (on the outside of the bridge) but we got into them right at the bottom of the outgoing tide for about 20 minutes on the inside of the bridge.

i plan on going out there tomorrow morning early to try for some at sunrise.

Steve OE2 has 3 HUGE boxes of what they have left of the Mr. Wiffles in both 4" and 6" with a lot of different colors. I stopped there on my way to work from Lynnhaven and bought 10 more bags with some other stuff I "needed". They're down to $.50 a bag so don't wait long to go look !!

AK I'll probably be in the same spot tomorrow morning around 0500 and with a little less wind @ 10-15 N/W should be fishable, after that it's Speck time.