Rowe

Spot or Mullet for Drum from the Beach?

18 posts in this topic

What do you prefer using for bait fishing for drum from the beach? Spot or mullet? I switch it up every now and then depending on whats available and was wondering what yalls opinion were.

Have it all on hand....add some fresh bluefish to the mix as well!

Either or... Love them peelers too!

If I have both plus bunker ill alternate with every bait change

That or spike two or three rods and use one of each until you can figgure out what they want ..........

Hey guys... I have a question ?>...

The " Mullet " is one color RED ?... I see some of this fish at the - International Food Market - but I google some pictures of the mullet and I see the type of silver color, can I use the red color for bait ?....will the fish be piss off becasuse the color ?...LOL ( for Me international food market is a good place for fresh baits, )

Not sure what the red fish would be.. Anyway, here is a picture of a mullet.

mullet-fish.jpg.d3a47625875c320f661cfd40

How can NOT get confused with a baby stripers ?....the mouth ?... sorry guys but this is new to Me. :-( and this is the reason I ONLY use spots for bait LOL

Red Mullet

The red mullets or surmullets are two species of goatfish, Mullus barbatus and Mullus surmuletus, found in the Mediterranean Sea, east North Atlantic Ocean, and the Black Sea.

Despite the English name "red mullet", these fishes of the goatfish family Mullidae are not closely related to many other species called "mullet", which are members of the grey mullet family Mugilidae.

*** from the Wikipedia.

Mullets have a smaller and completely different looking mouth than striper. When you see a mullet in person, you can definately tell the difference then

Mullets have a smaller and completely different looking mouth than striper. When you see a mullet in person, you can definately tell the difference then

Sound good, Thanks. :icon_thumleft:

So which mullet did you see in the Aisain Market was it the Mullus surmuletus . If so I 've may of these fish come thouhgh our seafood market. They are mostly sold to the to the Asian market and a lot of the greek resturants.

So which mullet did you see in the Aisain Market was it the Mullus surmuletus . If so I 've may of these fish come thouhgh our seafood market. They are mostly sold to the to the Asian market and a lot of the greek resturants.

Yeap, the red one, I see it few times.

For the Sandbridge beach fall bull red drum run, best bait is IMHO by far a fresh caught spot ... catch'em whack their heads off and chunk one to the horizon and dunk one in the first trough (or even the wash if its after dark) ~ BIG DRUM CANDY!!!!

My two cents :drunken_smilie:

`bucket

fresh mullet works too, the one saturday morning was on fresh mullet head.

cut up a spot and cut up a mullet...you'll have no doubt which is better.

spot heads are great too!

biggun.jpg.444110f38705837f81a5a52d72c7e

Charkbait................you stink.................nice fish