Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rowe

Shark Fishing Tips Needed

9 posts in this topic

Im new to fishing for sharks and was looking for any pointers that may help to landing more sharks from the beach such as placement of the bait, rigging, and anything that you think could be of importance to me or anyone else to read this. Ive caught a few sand sharks from the virginia beach pier a couple of weeks ago but after beginning to fish the beaches, I've been unable to land the first one.

Yea I've actually already looked at that article hoping that it would offer good insight on the answers that I am looking for but that article merely describes an experience versus stating the how to's and tips like I am searching for. This is what I have been doing since fishing the beach... I've been using 60lb mono on a 10' surf rod combo with a single drop steel leader attached to a 10" leader ending at a 8/0 J hook. I've been using mostly spot for bait, and blues or mullet if their available. The area that I've been fishing recently is located with one inner sandbar, no outer, and a deeper hole that sits along side of rocks that form the mouth of an inlet. But I do and will move around to somewhere else if it offers better terrain, so I think the terrain that I should be looking for should be an important answer to my question. Is there anything that I am not doing correct that I should change? What would be prime terrain to look for for good shark fishing? Good baits? Rigs? and anything else that you might want to add to help me or anyone else who may read this to land more sharks from the beach. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated and I'm open to anything that you might have. Thanks

Ok STOP USING "J" HOOKS. You will gut hook the fish and that will most likely die.

Use a rub leader of 100 to 150 lbs test about 6 to 8 feet long. It should be: hook -> bite leader -> rub leader -> shock leader -> running line... that's my set

SHARK FISHING IS A TEAM SPORT

DO NOT GO OUT ALONE

Good post, John. clear.gif

Rowe, your bite leader should be wire that you can either twist to your hook or crimp. I use Malin and that is available at most saltwater tackle shops. Make sure you use good swivels and a heavy duty snap swivel for your sinker.

Rowe, its a little late in the year to be sharkin and produce. If you need advice pm me, I'd be glad to give you all the info you'd need to catch tooth critters. In fact , I will create a thread just before shark season in the spring to give tips and info to help catch. As long as someone reminds me to do so.

Some tips how to stay away to... LOL, I like those guys but not to pull one :icon_scratch:

Rowe, its a little late in the year to be sharkin and produce. If you need advice pm me, I'd be glad to give you all the info you'd need to catch tooth critters. In fact , I will create a thread just before shark season in the spring to give tips and info to help catch. As long as someone reminds me to do so.

Im reminding you! Im reminding you! I would be very interested in this thread if and when you post it if ya havnt already.

Thanks, almost forgot about it....I will start it in the am...also once again I will teach anyone who is serious about sharking. All I ask is help with bait and maybe gas if I bring you out, if u got your own vehicle on the beach negate the gas part.