nolajim

Penn 113, 114, and 115 for Beach Sharking

8 posts in this topic

I picked up used 4/0, 6/0 and 9/0's (1 each) and need to spool them for yaking bait off the beach. I understand that a lot of people like PowerPro with a topshot of mono, which sounds good to me. But that's where I'm stuck.

How much PowerPro and Mono should I buy and what # test? And of course, how much should I put on each reel? Should they all have the same test line?

I think the PP comes in 300, 500 and 1500 yard spools. How do I know how much length I've put on the reel other than "it's half full" or "well, there goes the 500 yard spool"?

I'm really having a hard time grasping what the capacities are for each reel with a combination of lines (besides the fact that they are usually rated for lengths of mono). Finally, any recommendations on a brand for the mono topshot?

Thanks,

Jim

honestly, I would fill those reels with 30 40 or 50 lb mono and call it a day. Braid will be super expensive to fill all those reels.

Id agree. fill those reels with mono ...30 to 40 lb., add a heavy shock leader of over 100 lbs., maybe 30 feet or so, then add a wire leader of maybe 10 to 15 feet. Braid is great...but its expensive . will cut the crap out of you when handling a big fish, and gets in terrible knots when a shark rolls in the wash....

Braid has great pulling power but little side to side strength I heard a lot of "mistresses" snap offs when fighting a fish, and most ppl will tell you this is from see shells on the sand bars. I have had the same thing happen with mono but it taken a lot longer then one fight to cut thru..that and I use 17lbs running line............just my 2 cents.

Thanks. That's good to know. The cost of PowerPro was holding me back for a while, but I found it on sale at half price (e.g. 80# or 100# 500 yards at $32 and 1500 for $90 and thought it might be the right time to buy. Sometimes I fish on the Chincoteague side and when I was there in late August, it was shallow for a long, long way. Was that because of some storms earlier this summer? How deep do you guys try to fish for large sharks?

[Edit - Just checked again and it looks like they priced it wrong a couple of days ago. The price is up to around $53 for 500yds and $125-$140 for 1500. Oh well]

ive got two 114 filled with 80lb test. i attached that to 6 to 8 ft of rub leader (200lb to 400lb test), then three feet of wire. thats all you need. it works great for me. but like everything else, everyone has there own way of doing it.

Most braided line will have a mono equiv. on the box.30 lb. 5852a59880f40_paxriver012(800x600).jpg.ebraid equal to 8 lb. mono.

I have about 800 yards of 65 lb braid on a couple of 114s.

A 115 has about 1900 yards of 100 lb braid.

Another 115 has about 1000 yards of 50 lb mono.