Dixie719

Beach Caught Cobia

17 posts in this topic

So Andrews, when are you gonna tell the story?????

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!:icon_pray:

fine. ill tell the story:

on saturday the 28th of august:

i hooked a large cobia in the surf down at sand bridge. after a long fight, the @#$#@ face next of me never cleared his lines so we got tangled and it broke off. i was heated. everybody told me it would never happen again....

this happened on sunday the 29th:

hit the beach again on sunday with my buddy Jeremy. we got some small blues in the morning but that was it. a school of bunker came close enough to hit with a sting silver, only managed to snag a bunker, no blues. i put the bunker out whole and he got bit in half. it was getting late in the day and im ready to call it, one more cast i say, launch the half eaten bunker back to the blue to see what else wants to eat it. 30 mins later ive had enough and im about to call it. i look over and see my big heaver get hit….bump bump bump zzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ it goes down. i run over and set the hook and it takes off. not much of a fight except for a few decent runs, not much head shake….im thinking big ray. 15 mins into the battle after an extensive tug of war match, he comes up and what do i see? brown fin, brown tail, COBIA!!!! two in two days for something that is supposed to be rare?? the fight is on, he gets close to the wash and decides hes not down with that and takes off. after 30 mins of fighting him i get him to the wash……

now i got to pause a sec and tell you that a while back i bought a hand gaff, for situations like this and to help out with skates and giant rays. i warned Jeremy, not to hit the line with the gaff, i warned him that if he sticks the beast, the fish is going to go ape @#$%. Jeremy tells me “it ain’t getting away”, which i know is the truth coming from the Jersey Boy. i get the wifey next to me to take the rod when the time is right, i get him in the wash, about a 1ft of water, pass the rod to lisa and tell jeremy to stick him. i grab the shock leader, jeremy hits him with the gaff, and yep he went nuts. Jeremy jumps on top of the cobia and puts it in some sort of bear hug type of move. i run down and gab him by the gills and we both drag him up on the beach. i think to myself “wow this is heavy” as a crowd gathers around. most of them had never seen a cobia before. I secure the rod and rig, give the wifey a hug and kiss, and got my picture taken.

After the fastest beach clean up we have ever done (with three people might i add), jeremy (aka the cobia wrangler) helps me get the beast on my shoulder and i start the walk up. Lisa runs to get my truck, i leave jeremy on the beach with all the gear, he told me to carry my fish he’ll get our stuff. i turn around and look and jeremy is marching over the dune with EVERYTHING. pier cart, bait cooler, drink cooler, they wifey’s stuff. we load everything in the back of the truck and throw the beast on the bed. i stop at the first store i pass to by enough bags to cover him up (8 by the way) and we head off to get him weighed.

Hit the fishing center and put him up on the scale. he comes in at 75 POUNDS and approx 60 inches. Citation. after a few pictures we get the fish cleaned and head home. what a day. 2 cobia from the beach in two days????

5852a5987a3bc_cobia2.JPG.765b7d2d3f749bd

you can view the full report on my site: http://vbsf-hookedup.net/andrewk/

Andrew...A cobia from a casted bait from the beach in this area is rare...VERY Rare! Great work and your in a very elite club!

Awesome catch AK! Yes I left to early eh? Next up big reds. Cool website too ;)

thanks guys. im still dumbfounded that i hooked two in two days. I spoke with Lewis Gillingham of the VA saltwater tournament and he said to the best of his knowledge, that is the only citation cobia that has ever been taken off the beach in VA. whether or not that is true, doesn't matter to me. that fish was a freaking BEAST!

I knew I should of looked here first, again CONGRATS !!

Just get there early from now on though the lot was full last Saturday and there was 3 guys waiting for my spot when we left :shock:

Oh yeah who belongs to the ugly mug at the top ?? Someone needs to keep that guy on a leash !! :happy2:

Sorry Mark couldn't help, see you guys in the sand.

Great catch,good thing you hesitated.I do that all the time.One more cast,one more drift,just another half hour.Sometimes it pays off.Good story,THANK'S

no i wish, had to work monday. i know that was a catch of a lifetime that i will probably never see again, you never know though :angel7:

that was a fantastic catch and a catch of a life time. Congrats Andrew.