fish-aholic

Shark in My River!!!

12 posts in this topic

This was about 10 miles or so downriver from the campground! I might just have to yak out a big blue for bait this weekend when I'm down there!!!!!

Willy Dean has an incredible fish tale to tell. On Tuesday, he caught a shark while on the Potomac River in St. Mary's County, Md.

Don't believe him? He has the pictures to prove it.

Dean put out a net Monday at Cornfield Harbor in the Potomac three miles north of Point Lookout with hopes of catching cow-nosed rays for a Solomons Island Marina biologist. When he checked Monday night everything seemed normal. But when he checked again Tuesday morning, he made a startling discovery. In the net was an 8-foot-long shark. He said it was a bull shark. According to National Geographic, experts consider them to be "the most dangerous sharks in the world."

Whatever kind of shark it was, Dean knows two things: it had a heck of a lot of teeth, and it didn't go out easily.

"We had an interesting morning bringing it in," Dean said. "It was quite a fight."

Once the shark was captured, the next question was: What the heck do you do with it?

"I am probably going to have it mounted, maybe the head," Dean said. "Right now, the shark's in the freezer."

Which means there's no chance that this fish tale ends with the big one getting away...

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

Source

Cool, if u get one, I will be down to join ya!.

There have been bull sharks all the way up to the bay bridges in past years.they seem to be able to handle the brackish water.

Yeah...you know the statistics and habits of a Bull....they are there.....its only a matter of time before "incidents" occur like this one...whether with fisherman or bathers. Thats a serious critter.....Is there any kind of protection on Bull Sharks??

That's pretty insane. My sister goes to school down there, I suppose it's time to go visit her.:icon_thumleft:

I saw a shark special on animal planet once that showed where bull sharks were found 30-40 miles up rivers where the water was almost 100% fresh. I cant remember where it took place, and it wasnt local but a bull is a bull.

Years ago a Bull was found in nets at the top of the Chessie, all the way up.

Bulls have been found up the Mississippi as fer as Illinois!

They have the ability to regulate the amount of salt in their body, they can cease the expulsion of salt when in sweet water.

Bulls are known to birth in sweet or brackish water where the pups will have fewer if any predators.

I am already working on catching one in the Chessie at the mouth of the Pax and Poto Rivers.

It's a night ordeal with big bait and big hooks.

Fortunately, my boat has all the creature comforts (fridge, stove, shower, bunks, etc), so a long trip isn't a big deal.

If one of the ladies want to sleep, they just go below.

What happens if more than one wants to sleep? Uh oh... Better keep them on chum duty. :icon_thumright:

LOL!

I have two separate sleeping areas....

One on the v-berth and one below the helm.

I'm in the process of getting a bigger boat, a 47' Post.

It's easier to stay out with more ppl when targeting something like the Bull Chark.

Since it's an all night trip, room to cook, eat, allow others to sleep, and simply keep me in the game to find that Chark!

I can't do an overnight this week but plan to hit Cornfield Harbor next week.

I'll run a fish oil drip and hang some cut bunker in a minnow trap over the side.

Still have some large Striper parts and Bunker for the hook.

Think that will work?