Dave

Fall Red Drum Fishing

5 posts in this topic

O.k. summers end is upon us and soon reds will be running. I am very good at sharking but a relative beginner at red drum. I have caught a few bulls but not within the past 2 years. What are you experienced drum fishermans favorite techniques, such as weather, fish finder rigs or cannon ball, hook size, preferred bait, etc. Just wanted to get a general consensus going for those wanting to catch a red this fall. By the way, this will be my 4th consecutive drum tourney this year. Who else will be there?

I am still on the hunt for my first. I am taking a couple of days off work this year, not exactly sure what days, but there will be a few spent on the beach.

Here it be:

Rigs:

I've tried them all and they all catch but the most consistent is the standard drum rig with no more than a 2" hook leader and an 8/0 to 10/0 circle hook. I say consistent because it rarely misses a fish compared to a cannonball which for me was pretty bad. I run a 3' trace of 150# mono for the sinker to ride on and albright that to my shock. The knot creates a sinker stop and the fish can run just long enough and then pops the sinker. Hooks for me are gami big eye hooks but anything in that size range will work if you keep it sharp.

Bait in order in the fall:

Cobb Mullet

Spot

Bluefish

Bunker

Weather:

Light Southerlies are best for me but had my best day in a pretty hard NE wind so who knows, just fish the right time of the year and fish it hard.

... just fish the right time of the year and fish it hard.

You've got that right!

Reds have always been my favorite species, took many years to catch my first citation drum. I like to fish two hours on each side of the tide. Fish the shoals, the edge of the white water. Fresh bluefish for bait. 6/0-9/0 circle hook, 3-4" leader, 6-8 oz sinker. Hope to start putting in some serious time on the sand after this storm surge is gone. John