Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GENERAL

whats a good hook?

18 posts in this topic

Thers been some talk about "what is a good hook to use". To me that depends on maker and size. I like mustad 9/0. To me its a vary good all purpus hook but i want to know what yall think so let me know what hook you like

whats a good hook?

the one with a fish on the end of it :)

i use mustads ..maybe only because i have a lot of them ???

never done me wrong yet :)

I swear by mustad, I have used owner and wilľ never again.

Again Mustad. Simply because that's all I have used and they work...thats all I need.

I've used gami big eyes just not long enough to catch with em. Might have to try them again. Thanks Steve z.

Sure do like those gami big eyes. IMO they are the BEST hook for drum & big stripers. Ya don't have to sharpen 'em and they last forever...or at least until something bites 'em off. Expensive, though. Another hook I've been looking at is the Quick Rig Charlie Brown. It almost seems like a cross between an octopus and a circle...I was worried somewhat about gut hooks. But I caught several dozen fish on the 9/0 this past spring with absolutely no problem. Everything, even the skates & doggies, was hooked right in the corner of the jaw. And at less than a buck apiece they're a lot cheaper than the big eyes. Still, when I throw my bait to the big reds I'm gonna be using those gami big eyes.

Thanx for the info steveZ. Ive seen some difrint typs of owner hooks some super thick and others thin and kinda look like a "U" insted of a circle. And the thick ones are like a 1/4" thick has any one done any good with these.

Owner 5178 and 5179 hooks are ok. They have a round bend like the gami octopus circle but the bend on the Owner hooks is deeper. A lot of folks won't use the gami octopus circle as they say they drop too many fish with it but the deeper bellied Owner doesn't seem to have that problem as it takes a bigger bite. The 5178 has an up eye and a little offset. I've used it in 10/0 & it works ok. The 5179 is similar but has a straight shank and no offset. I've used it in 9/0 & it works ok. But, again, I much prefer the gami big eye and my new second choice is the Charlie Brown hook. Sure wish I could get those big eyes for a buck apiece!

While I'm at it I'd like to throw my .02 in on the offset versus no offset argument. Some guys who are excellent fishers and who catch big fish swear by an offset hook. Some of 'em say the offset makes it easier to bait up. I am not one of those guys. I used to use offset hooks and now and then dropped a fish for some unknown reason. And I sometimes caught a fish on a light skin or lip hookup or something other than that classic corner of the jaw hookup. When I started using nonoffset hooks I almost totally quit dropping fish and I had a much greater percentage of jaw hookups. So...I'm gonna use what works best for me and that is a big, nonoffset hook.

I offset mine and yes I do get a few drops now and then, I will try straight set. Thanks for the info Steve z.

Awsome info thanx a lot. Earlier in the year I unfortunately got a fish on a "gut hookup" any one know how to avoid this. I was using a circle but it was a new born toothy and it had just inhaled my Bate & hook

I don't have much experience with this...only remember one incident and that was with a Matzuo circle hook on a spiny doggie. Hmm, haven't seen these hooks lately. The Matzuo was a large, thin wire, offset hook with a shape quite like the nonoffset Charlie Brown hooks I'm looking at now. I suspect the gut hookup was quite a rare thing with those hooks but I immediately quit using them. I do know a guy who swears by them & he catches a lot of big fish.

Anyway, here's how I fish and it seems to avoid gut hookups. I use a short leader...about an inch for drum and 2-3" for stripers. A large circle hook...gami big eye in 9/0 or something of similar size. I probably fish with a tighter drag than most. It is tight enough that I sometimes have a bit of a struggle getting the rod outta the spike! But not so tight that a large fish will break off or pull the spike out. Keep those spikes well secured! I can only imagine a large fish in the surf taking a bait is a very violent thing. We are fishing for large, pugnacious fish in a hostile environment...dog eat dog world out there. I "think" that my short leader coupled with a tight drag and an exposive take by the fish results in those corner of the jaw hookups we all love. But that is not the whole story. Most of the stripers I caught this spring picked the bait up and swam to the beach and my hookups on them was very good. So....either the rod goes down hard & the fish is hooked OR the rod stands up and the line goes slack. When that happens reel fast until you come up tight and the fish will be hooked. Remember, you never "set" a circle hook. My .02.

All this jawin' back & forth is gettin' me itchy. I'll be up on the 16th. Old white chev with a white aluminum cap. Stop & howdy.

Steve, I met you earlier in the year at the pumps, general was with me on a black Ford explorer, you had mentioned how your truck was showing its age. It was sometime around June in the morning. I told you I frequent this site, and you said you don't get online to much. Very glad to talk again, I will be sure to stop by when we see ya out there. Can't wait till the drum tourney.

Had to be in May...I don't fish after Memorial Day or before Labor Day. Yep, my ol' Chev has 16 yrs & 236K on it. Still runs pretty doggone good but is getting tired. I know a little about that...but a big fish perks me right up. Hope to see ya on the beach.

i will keep my eye out for ya. you doing the drum tourney?

I'll be sher to stop and say hi. don't know about the 16th tho might have to work. seya out their

No tournament for me but I'll be around. Typically do not fish on Sat. I'll be there about 3 wks...mebbe more depending...

I'm usually out sun thru Tue.