Clearin' Waves

Gps

9 posts in this topic

My wife and i moved to a new area of the bay than i am used to fishing. There are several artificial reefs within miles of our creek but i can only find the little yellow cans about 50% of the time (when the sun hits them right and its not hazy). I dont have a very large budget but i was wondering what is the bst GPS for the money. I just want something that i can save pionts on and maybe a few paths to certain fishing spots. Are the hand held gps's accurate. Some depth indications would be nice. My experience with gps is limited to my garmin i have in the truck so any info or suggestions would be greatly apperciated. Thanks.

I downloaded a gps app for my Droid for free, which works well. If you have a Droid phone just download the app.

I have Navionics ApP for I phone works great ($5.99) but I wouldn't try to navigate my boat blind with just the app. Major difference is between a GPS & Chartplotter. Chartplotter overlays your location on a chart of the body of H20 you're on. I was looking into a Chartplotter / fishfinder combo last year and Lowrance was the only company that released new technology in 2009. Everyone else was just a refresh of their 2008 models. was about $499 - not too expensive - some are upwards of $2500. Sign of a bad economy. I opted to get the I phone app instead. They also make handheld chartplotters too. I have a handheld GPS about 10 years old and use it as your describing religiously. Gets me there and back has a nice display - water resistant / unlike the Iphone... also keeps track of my total distance / moving time etc for my log and service purposes it's handy to have.

Thanks for the advice. I think i may try the hand held. I found a couple garmins that look pretty good.

Check the VMRC web site there are many artificial reef sites listed there with the corordinates that might be in your area.

The Garmin 76CSX is a good all-around unit and can be had for under $200.

I have a garmin gps map on my grady white,and i like it.also has the sounder option.hard to find a boat mounted gps under $500.used my brothers handheld one time going out of quimby va. Did'nt really try to locate a position but it helped me get back thru the maze of island and shoal areas.good flounder fishing spot,with a great ramp for$5.00 fee.5852a597785ec_fridayeveningwhittlings036

The seaside can be pretty tricky if you're not familiar with it. I don't live far from Quinby. How much was your Garmin? Still looking for the best option before i spend the money.

When i bought the 1989 gw 22 seafarer,gps was included.the previous owner said he paid $600 for it including the sending unit for the sounder,and the gps antenna.that was 4 years back.the numbers change every year,mine has the preloaded us shoreline,and i used it in key west last winter,all the reefs were on there.i think it's similar to the garmin gpsmp 541s that west has for $740 plus the transducer.before you buy check tigergps.com they have pretty good prices.