12 posts in this topic

I remember someone on here talking about the haywire twist for tying steel leader to hooks/swivels. just wondering how strong it is, i couldn't find any crimps anywhere around my house so i just used that knot for tying the leader to my hook and swivel(going down for a night tomorrow with some friends). It took some practice but it seems really strong when i try pulling on it, any help would be appreciated, thanks

Go to any local tackle shop and ask for Malin wire. I can't remember what lb test I have, but they can give you a better idea.

hardwire-1.jpg

The haywire twist is very simple once you get the right wire.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNx8BbFOqKI&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNx8BbFOqKI&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Well the thing is I have some old solid wire that was my dad's, it's probably closing on 10-12 years old but it still seems solid, I couldn't imagine ss wire going bad in that amount of time anyway. Yea i practiced twisting it, making sure every twist was tight with the running wire. hopefully it works out, wouldn't want to lose another nice one due to tackle reasons

yes, I have had a lot of success with them. Never had one fail me, come to think of it..

Really good news to hear. It really does seem like a tough knot/twist though, i was pulling at it as hard as i could. I could actually imagine tying solid wire like that could be stronger than a crimped wire

Also fellas, i have about 4-5 ft of steel leader attached to about 370 yards of 40 lb mono. The fish finder is at the swivel where the mono and steel connect. Does that sound like a reasonable setup? I have them on a couple conventional reels my buddy is going to take out on a windsurf board

If you go over to sunset provisions in oc they sell a haywire twist tool which makes this much easier

i do the haywire twist by hand, not to difficult but a tool should speed things up considerably. as for your set up, i use 17lb test running line 340 yards to 50lb shock leader 35-40 ft, then tie off to 100-150lb rub leader roughly 6 to 8 ft in length then tied to a swivel and 4-6 inches of malin wire to the 10/0 hook mustad circle demon. that is for a casting setup.

I like that setup, I was using 3 feet of wire until Sam said that seemed a little long, a 10th foot rig takes somethingspecial to cast.