Guest blackcourse53

Surf Fishing for Sharks Off Long Island

5 posts in this topic

Anyone know if I would have any realistic success surf fishing for sharks on Long Island. I'm worried that they remain too far from the coast to have decent odds at catching any. Thanks.

inshore water temps should be around 68 to have a chance, then give it a try u never know.

I would say that's a big NO.... Sharks are not coming that close to shore and it would probably be illegal to try and set up a slick witin the shoreline especially so close to the beach. I believe you have to be 3 miles out to start a chum slick. The threshers were under 2 miles south of the Atlantic beach inlet a couple of weeks ago chasing the bunker schools. That's about as close as they'll get. Join some fishing sites and make some friends with boats......

John

I would say that's a big NO.... Sharks are not coming that close to shore and it would probably be illegal to try and set up a slick witin the shoreline especially so close to the beach. I believe you have to be 3 miles out to start a chum slick. The threshers were under 2 miles south of the Atlantic beach inlet a couple of weeks ago chasing the bunker schools. That's about as close as they'll get. Join some fishing sites and make some friends with boats......

John

Don't ever think you are in the ocean and not close to a shark.....The only way you'll know is if you give it a try. You don't need a chum slick in order to catch sharks, they are out there with or without one. Get your rig out and give it a shot. I know when I was stationed in Jersey back in the early 90's, it wasn't popular, but there was sharking done from shore in the long branch area with success. If they are there, why not off long island? I know if you look through threads, some tool caught a baby sand tiger shark last year from a boat in the Long Island Sound, then kept it....too bad it is a protected shark......I say give it a try and let us know how you did.