6 posts in this topic

Ok - Its looking like I'll be able to make it to the shark get together. Now, the question is this: I don't have the hobby budget to buy a new rod or reel, but If I want to cast for some sharks closer in, I know I'll at least need to sneak in a few items in the line and terminal tackle category... I've read through some of the earlier posts on casting for sharks, and I think I'll try using the following plan:

Rods: 10ft cabelas saltstriker (2-8) and daiwa sealine x 12ft (4-7) - All I have - should I be looking at something heavier?

Reels: Penn 8500 and/or Baitrunner 6500 - again , all I have but I sure would like another reel :mrgreen: (In case my wife is reading this - fathers day IS tomorrow you know....)

Line: Currentlyh have 300+ yards of 17lb tritanium on both reels - should I use maybe 30lb braid to gain some capacity? Or use heavier mono instead (I can get about 250 yards of 25lb on it if i want...) - opnions on this?

After the line -whatever I end up with, I will be adding

1.. shock leader - either tapered to 70lb or maybe just plain 40-50lb mono.

2. From shock, barrel swivel connection to 4' 100lb mono with fishinder on it to 2nd barrel swivel to 1-2 foot Malin leader (#12????)

3. Hook - 10/0 - 12/0 circle??? I notice some of you use J hooks for sharks instead? Any reason for this?

Seems like a lot of moving parts - lots of knots to fail, but this is what I gather is neccessary based on what I've read. Any way to simplify things further? Looking for opnions/suggestions before I place my order for the terminal tackle, etc - want to be sure I'm ready to have at least one line in the water with you guys on the 28th.

THanks!

Steve

The Penn 8500 will do fine, I don't own any baitrunners so I cannot attest to them, but I don't see why not. Basically anything you can get out there will catch fish. It's just a matter of having stuff on the end like malin #12 and enough line to let 'em run a bit. Keeping the drag loose enough, you can land something on 17#. Stick with the 17# and 300 yds, more is better. You'll have a multi-purpose setup too.

Yeah, some of us have pretty heavy gear, that's our ego and testesterone getting ready for a 12' Tiger Shark..... :shock:

What you have will work fine, night time they're just beyond the surf break.

Grab some large hooks, maybe some 12/0 J or circles. I use both types of hooks. For daytime, more bait will fit on a J and at night, Sand Tigers's shouldn't get gut hooked on a circle.

You should have two knots, running line to shock and shock to barrel. For the hard wire (Malin #12 or better) use a haywire twist. Bev might have the little tool to do the twists. I use crimping sleeves on the Malin 12 or 19 (250 & 400 lb), mono shock (250 lb) with a FF, and tie on the 60# running line.

You could get enough shock and wire laid out behind you for a toss, maybe 5' & 5' each.

I'd hold off on the braid, it ain't cheap.....

Personally, I don't like to use braid at night, more cut-offs than mono (it seems). They swim 'round with their mouths open and snag/cut the running line.

Maybe the braid floats a little more than mono, I dunno'. But it sure would explain how it catches their teeth....

I can give the baitrunners a big thumbs up :up: I have owned one 4500 my mom has a 4500 and my buddy has all three. great reels. and braid is not cheep, but if you are going to go for it, most places don't charge that much more for 65# as they do for 30# I happen to be partial to braid so...... I haven't had any experience with the big boys on braid, but I am looking forward to finding out.

Yep - I love my 6500. My only two stripers caught so far - got one on the baitrunner and one on the penn. Even though both "worked' Gotta say I felt much more confident with the baitrunner for some reason. Just felt like I trusted the drag more - probably all psychological...

Anyway, Looks like I'll give it a shot with my existing reel(s) - 17lb running line to Shock to barrel to 4ft 100lb Mono with FF to barrel to 2ft #12 Malin to 12/0 hook. (or similar)

I suppose its possible to use just heavy shock and skip the shock to 100lb connection, but I'm not so sure I'd get a 17lb to 100lb knot tied small enough not to cause problems casting :) Thanks for the input guys - i'll watch the post for a couple days to be sure i'm not missing something and then get my stuff.

Worst case scenario, I get spooled with this setup right? and I'm just out some cheap mono. (long as I don't get anything that melts my drag :mrgreen: )

probably the best advice I can give you is bring a lot of line. I don't know how long you plan on being out there but there is nothing worse than having all your line stripped and not being able to put more on. I would buy a 1 lb. spool of 17-20 lb. line, whichever you prefer. probably run you between $35-$45 but trust me, 3000 yards of line comes in handy. I personally use 175 lb. cable for my shark rigs about 8-10" long with a 10/0 mustad demon circle hook opened and slightly offset. I don't like using hard wire. If you show up there with an open mind and ask for help we will give it to you. I think I'll be out there all weekend.

THanks Pier man -I'll definitely try to keep an open mind and appreciate all the advice from the folks here. This is the most helpful forum I've found around - and I haven't been steered wrong yet :) Looking forward to meeting you!