12 posts in this topic

Of all the time I've spent fishing the bay i have never really targeted flounder. Ive caught plenty on peeler fishing for greys. What is everyone's favorite jig or lure or rig for catching them? Thanks in advance for the insite.

Dont really need a jig for flounder,most of the time i will use a bare hook with small spot if you got them,or squid strip/minnow combo.always us a 18"-24" leader on a bottom rig.but have used bucktails,small spoons with squid strip,bass assasins.or add a skirt and a spinner for an attractor.lotta times a flounder will bump a bait before it takes it,so be ready to drop back and give it time to come back after it before setting the hook. They have a large mouth,so dont be afraid to use larger bait fish.

5852a59690780_dogwoodsinbloom018.jpg.eea

5852a596950c8_dogwoodsinbloom023(800x600

I got an 19" flattie on seagull pier on a 7 1/2" craoker dead sticking. There are some great videos on "youtube" that show flatties. I knew a guys years ago that soaked and then dried strips of white dishtowel in fish blood. He used them on the pier and his boat. 1/2 or 3/4oz on the pier up to 5-6oz on the boat. I went out with him more that once and he liked to drift fish. He really knew where to find them as we always got nice ones. He would never keep more than 2(nor could I,lol), but they were nice fish, 4lbs+. After we had our 2, we went spot, trout, etc. fishing. I can't even remember his name!!! Hell of a nice guy tho to take out a 16-17yo kid that just loved fishing. I guess he was in his 50s then? He got a smile out of showing me and I hope he had/has a great life. :angel5:

I use the Assateague Island Tackle Deadly Double rig with the red hooks! Gulp Alive 3" swimming mullet are the $$!

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Im guessing that these lures are bounced along the bottom while you either drift or slowly retrieve? Might have to give it a shot soon.

I find drifting - bouncing off the bottom every few seconds more effective that a slow retrieve - keeping the rig straight up & down seems to be the key. Always test your rigs by dropping them just under the water surface and make sure the presentation is perfect - no spinning baits - no twists in the leader etc. Good Luck!

Berkely Gulp swimming mullet either white or chartruese with a red head jig head

Thanks for the advice guys my wife caught her first flounder yesterday and she ended up with 3 total. no keepers though.:BangHead: It hurts to throw back such pretty fish.

ALWAYS TAKE A CAMERA IS ONE OF MY PERSONAL GEAR REQUIREMENTS,WHEN FISHING SOLO,I CLAMP IT TO MY BOAT AND PUSH THE BUTTON TO RECORD.I AM "osprey02" on youtube.you can capture and re-live the moment,in this high throwback ratio invironment that we are fishing in these days.

5852a59756991_WORLDWIDESPORTSMAN084(640x

If there is croaker and spot in the mix,I use the smaller ones,and cut strip baits from larger ones