7 posts in this topic

I am often asked if Spadefish are good to eat. Yes they are. Tonight I had some company over so I cooked some up. I marinated one batch in a herb / garlic mix and grilled it. Then I batterd some in House Autry breading and deep fried it. I also cut up and grilled a bunch of fresh veggies. It was all delicious! My guest also brought some home made cookies and a cake so we covered all of the food groups, Dinner and Desert. Ha! I caught it, cleaned it and cooked it.

DSC_0264b-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg

Thanks to your advice last year I'm still catching the spades. We had some of ours tonight as well. I baked mine. First i put a thin film of olive oil in the bottom of the baking pan and dusted it with old bay. Then i added the fillets and placed a spoonful of butter, a little old bay, and lemon juice on each fillet. We cooked the fillets at 350 for 18 minutes. I do the same on the grill and its even better by making a "boat" out of foil. Its simple but they turn out very good.

Saturday i saw a young man spear fish a spade form the high rise. Have you tried there before? How far down does the concrete slab that surrounds the piles go underwater? I tried several different depths and around 10 ft seemed to be the spot. I was wondering if this was close to the bottom of the concrete and if that's why they were holding there.

I was in MI from 90-2000 trying to deal with Winter and fishing through a hole in the water. I came home and one of the first things I caught was a spade(13-14") and I didn't even know what it was,LOL, so back it went. Looks like you had a good time. I'm gonna keep the next one .

Thanks, I have seen spades on many piles and around the islands. I have caught and speared them both. I still like the CLT because youcan see them much better and there of tons of them in one spot.

Man,your making me hungry.those spades look pretty big.world record was set in your area in 09 at 14lb.14oz. R.e. Murphy

Wow, that looks sooo good.