6 posts in this topic

Hey guys, new to the site, semi-new to surf fishing!

I mainly fish AI and wanted some input on my current rod/reel setups, conventionally i currently have:

Diawa SL30

Penn 525mag

Penn 12' stick (forget the model)

Diawa 10' Emcast plus

How would you guys match these up, diawa with diawa or would you mix them.

Also, my casting distance on these conventionals is certainly not what it should be, what would you recommend as the best casting method for these as a beginner?

I've watched many videos, i've tried different methods, I have a huge fear of the birds nest, What should i do?????? Thanks in advance!

One more ?, are you able to cast with the Shimano Tyrnos TYR12, i think i found a heck of a deal on a shimano combo, hundreds of dollars off regular price, and i AM going to buy it if casting is possible. Thanks

either rod or reel combination will work for you. there is no wrong or right way to do it. Just put the reels on the rods and see which ones feel the best for you.

When I started learning conventional reel casting I struggled for a month or so and it wasn't until I got mad and just let one rip. I figured out I was spending too much effort not blowing up the reel than I was getting a good cast.

As for that shimano, I can't help you there as I don't have any experience with it. If you are getting such a good deal go ahead and get it and if it doesn't work you could sell it and make a profit.

Yeah, i am definatly putting more concentration into not making a mess! The reason i asked about the shimano, there is a site offering the shimano combo for $150, with a regular price of $370, but i don't want to bother if it wouldn't make a good casting combo or at least a good shark setup, the reel has a capacity of 300 yds, 20lb mono. Sounds like a good thing, but wanted some input from someone with experience.

Yeah, i am definatly putting more concentration into not making a mess! The reason i asked about the shimano, there is a site offering the shimano combo for $150, with a regular price of $370, but i don't want to bother if it wouldn't make a good casting combo or at least a good shark setup, the reel has a capacity of 300 yds, 20lb mono. Sounds like a good thing, but wanted some input from someone with experience.

Go to ebay and check out what the real "going" price for that reel is before you purchase it.

Checked that out, the "real" going price is still over what the whole combo costs. Alright, well i just wanted to hear from someone who owns one, guess not too many do! Thanks anyway!