73 posts in this topic

Ok I'm hearing a lot of needles complaining about a lot of hearsay. I think some people need to reread a lot of post's, carefuly,not get "up in arms" about all this rumor talk. Yes, theirs a bit of truth in every rumor. But as of right NOW IT'S A RUMOR! So every one relax.

If you reread all the posts you'll find all this info was once given allready.

Pleas every one calm down, your scaring the children

Let me try and clear things up. First off, the talks about a month ago were of a ban for the delivery of bait to attract big game. I do not know what has or will come of this. I have a feeling if there is a ban it will only be in the resort communities. How many people do you know kayak bait out in ocean city? None that i know of. One reason for that is it would be just plain stupid to try during the day,taking out bloody bait right passed swimmers and surfers probably isnt a good idea. Besides fishing off the beach in ocean city during the hours of 9am to 4pm or whenever the life guards are on duty is prohibited.

Second, delaware has had a string of sharks washing up over the past 4 weeks. Way more than usual. As i was told, talks were spreading of delaware dnr considering a ban on shark fishing out right. Here were my questions, How could anyone enforce such a ban? Answer: It would be next to impossible, but the thought logic was that if shark fishing was banned people would not be able to use the stinger rig.(j hook trailed by a treble hook). To me it would have been easier to ban the use of the rig itself.

REMEMBER I AM ONLY STATING WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD, DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER! I do not have any way of confirming this and yes it is a bunch of b.s. But i felt being that it came from an AUTHORITY FIGURE, regardless of what i believe, I should at least post it for others to become informed and base an opinion for themselves. This thread was created to educate new members who want to learn how to shark fish to do so with a little more info on the responsibilities and safety precautions needed to be able to enjoy themselves and the confidence to release the shark safely. Remember Knowledge is power and the key to allowing us to enjoy the beauty and splendor shark fishing has to offer.

I felt that if I was told all this by a government official then it was fair game to be repeated on this site. This is a forum where opinions are free to be expressed. Please understand that i do not have the play by play details. Just what i was told. I was with another member whom heard all this himself and i will speak to him to see if he wants to add to my details. I do believe myself that their will be NO ban. I apologize if this does not make a whole lot of sense but i am tired and going to bed.

Iam going drumming!!!

coop, want some company? lol.

Dave, anytime buddy...hopefully a couple more weeks we will start seeing one or two. Getting my gear ready. Hard to believe its almost September.

Is that Ban gonna be roll on...or the spray kind??:icon_puke_l:

So what does someone want fins and jaws for?? The fins are put in soup?? Aphrodisiakkkkk?? Seriously, who would buy those things? Possibly restaurants? wouldn't they have to be sold in another country or the Black market? Lot of questions...but i'd agree that it was done from a boat and dropped overboard....if the rumors are accurate...

Thats fairly infuriating. Thanks for the info....id like to fin some of those fisherman who do such a thing....:evil3:

Rub leader gets changed after each big shark. Main line gets replaced after striper, 2wice for shark, then before red drum run.

When you mentioned line replacement. it made me think...at Angler's..just before you cross the bay bridge heading east...that have spool of 3000 yd suffix at extrreme clearing prices. $24.94 for most. That was a month ago...but they may still have inventory. Its a steal for what I believe is the best mono....FYI if any yall come from across the bridge.

Rub leader gets changed after each big shark. Main line gets replaced after striper, 2wice for shark, then before red drum run.

Thx for the great info.

When you mentioned line replacement. it made me think...at Angler's..just before you cross the bay bridge heading east...that have spool of 3000 yd suffix at extrreme clearing prices. $24.94 for most. That was a month ago...but they may still have inventory. Its a steal for what I believe is the best mono....FYI if any yall come from across the bridge.

Man... I was @ wenD ( Next to Angler's )... Didn't know, but was late anyway and they was closed.

Question ?... they sale baits ?....( any )

ok not to beat a dead horse but, here is some info from a delaware meeting just a few weeks ago. Delaware Advisory Council on Tidal Finfisheries. Handling prohibited species of sharks. This regulation proposed that regulations be the same for all fisherman (pier, shore, surf, and boat). These sharks must be not be removed from the water and released immediately. No dragging up on shore, no pixs and no measurement without a research permit were mentioned. The origin of this proposal was based on a letter form the Fed.s I think that Dr Newlin said NMFS requested that Delaware comply with the Federal Management Plan (FMP). A peer reviewed 2009 study was cited to support this regulation. now remember this is just a proposal right now.

thats really good to know

do you hapen to have a link whare i can read this myself?

i want to see what kinda particulars are proposed, like how far is out of the water is on the beach. cuz in order to <acronym title="Delaware">de</acronym>-hook a shark safley thay need to be mostly out of the water, as in almost immobilized and in water isnt a smart way to do this with

so would like to read this for myself.

Based on the discussion on some other forums its sounds like cutting the leader will be the only legal way to release a Sand Tiger- if said regulations come into play.

This is VERY Unhealthy for the sharks in my opinion....... I am pretty shocked it came to this and am really sorry for those who feel like I am solely responsible.

Things like the WBOC "Delmarva Outdoors" news segment and other local news paper articles were to try and promote the sport in the most positive image I thought imaginable; focusing on catch, tag, and release, proper handling, etc. Never did I want to screw us all over.

There were several people I saw doing it midday over the course of the summer (like I used to before I came to my senses), and I feel like that is what is really getting people fired up. Fishing anytime after 11am or before 8pm on a usually-populated beach is just asking for trouble. You might not see the consequences on that day, but all it takes is for a few uneducated people to murmur about it, and it spreads like wildfire.

I hope that individuals who make the laws will instead UTILIZE the fisherman to collect data through catch tag and release, and not make the fisherman release the shark with hooks attached......

Ben Dziwulski

I've been off this thread for a while and just refreshed myself by reading all the posts...........almost threw up when I read that 9 sharks had washed up dead- finned and de-jawwed. That makes me SICK. All these new possible regulations make alot more sense now as to what triggered them into action.

I really can't blame them for trying to make regulations because that is flat-out appalling. What is sad is that not a single person on this board (that I know of) would ever think of doing such a thing. And honestly, regulations will not stop criminals from breaking the law...........gun laws don't prevent bank robbery.

Ben Dziwulski

for the life of me i cant understand why people think its okay to defin and dejaw the sharks and then release them :angry4::angry5::evil7:... Theres not a "single" group of people who do it because the guilty parties include everyone from locals to tourists... I think you should have a respect for the creatures you catch if not then why are you fishing?:confused: Of the people i have met from this board they all love this sport and seem like they have a respect for the fish they catch whether it is catch and release or kept to eat... its just disgusting that fishing can be ruined for us by people who cant follow simple regulations...

2011 has yet to show itself as a year for fishing, frankly i am disgusted at some of the travesties that we have faced in the last month. we all need to do our part and make people aware of whats going on in order to keep our sport healthy and alive. check out KeepAmericaFishing for some easy ways to stay involved. its our duty as fisherman who utilize these resources day in and day out for pleasure and gain to respect and defend them.

Good info fellas, Ben u were never blamed but more or less put in the spotlight. Let's all hope this doesn't pass into law.

Yeah definitely make no mistake I am not trying to whine about any "blaming" I just want to help as much as anyone here. It really is a shame and we will just have to see what comes into effect.

All I can say is, go way down the beach, light a bonfire, and yak out the baits at night.

This type of fishing has to lay low for awhile.

To do it within sight of persons other than those in YOUR party is a death sentence.

It is quite obvious where this is going, could be the same direction as Myrtle Beach, no sharking from shore.