73 posts in this topic

I really have no idea why anyone would need a stinger hook to catch these sharks. The sandtigers almost immediately inhale the bait, and one correctly placed circle hook is all you need.

I know a few guys that do it on 3r's and other Del. beaches, but I taught them my tricks and I know they don't use those rigs, nor do they fish during the day

I just hope people will read these posts too and learn about proper rigging!

As for the 20/0 circles- They are great when you drop very big baits- as I have a tendency to do...haha. They are made of "duratin" and if for some reason you need to leave them in a shark- they will rust out rather quickly unlike stainless J hooks.

I bought a 100pack of them from snlcorp.com for $145 shipped. I am sure you can look around online and find less bulk if that is what you want.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Ben

I’d concur, since switching to circle hooks I’ve set the hook more often and lost less fish, and it’s always sitting pretty around the mouth. Real quick release… and most of all, real easy release, I can spend a moment looking and admiring my fish before release, rather than a panic’d de-hooking session,. and that's why I'm there.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Here is the link to the Circle hooks many of us use.

I use 20/0, I don't cast them, I take out in a kayak.

Excellent prices!

Mustad 39960D Circle Hooks

Wow, only about $1 per hook. Thanks for the site!

I have had a great hookup rate using a size rang of 7/0 -10/0. 7 to 9 for strieper and 9 to 10 maby 11 for toothy fish depending on maker of hook. Iv hade no luck with durm so i cand coment on hook size. I do know you can land a toothy fish any size between 3' to 8.5' on a 9/0 hook.

Ben, the info about the yak ban came from a ranger on ai

Hey Dave...what are you doing up in my neck of the woods and how long are you in the pittsburgh area?? Me and my buddy hit south carolina last week with the knowledge that i gained from this site.I heavily researched everything for a year before we went. When i went I was 100% sure of what i needed to do. Two hookups but nothing beached. I ran into guys down there that were talking about catching 4-5 footers and slitting their throats before they tossed them back in the ocean. I was disgusted. South Carolina (Horry County) is very anti shark and shark fishing. We werent shark fishing in Horry County because it is illegal but the mere mentioning of it earned you an @ss chewing. I would really like to hook up with you one of these days and hit the beach.

A lot of good info shared in this thread. Thanks a lot.

Could you guys give some info on what type of de-hooking tools/technique you use? That seems like it'd fall well under the theme of this thread.

Thanks again.

I use long needless pliers to remove the hook.

Neo, just pm me sometime. I used to live in pitt, went to college there.

Dave???

What is this about a yak ban???????

Is this still heresay or have you found truth to it?

Just in DE parks?

From what I have been told by ranger George on ai, is that de will be banning bait delivery by yak by the spring of next year. Ranger George fishes out of de and is from n.j. if I find out more I will be sure to post. This was all brought on due to the explosion in shark fishing and the month of July had 9 washed up sand tiger sharks. Remember this is not from I just what I have been told by a reliable person.

Aw geez!

Circle hooks, don't drag it around, don't sit on it, quick pic and release.

Can you find out if any of the nine were tagged?

Delivery method won't matter, since the majority are caught in the surf zone.

FYI: I did not delete any posts from this or any other thread on purpose. Last night, everyone was having a difficult time logging in and in my attempt to fix it, I restored the database from midnight (the 23rd).

Ok,more info from the source. De dnr wants to ban shark fishing period. The 9 shark washed up were finned and had there jaws cut out. Once again it only takes a few to ruin it for all of us.

If thats the case...and they were finned and the jaws cut out....I would say that someone needs to call a meeting with the authorities....because that kind of garbage isn't from us...or anyone I'd associate with.

I live a few hours away from the beach, but Id be glad to attend any meeting that is set up...or contribute in any way.

Finned and jaws removed...thats utterly ridiculous.....

Ok,more info from the source. De dnr wants to ban shark fishing period. The 9 shark washed up were finned and had there jaws cut out. Once again it only takes a few to ruin it for all of us.

That's just messed up! Anyone that does that should be in jail. I don't think banning shark fishing will do THEM any good at all. At this point it should simply be a case of finding out who is doing that.

Banning shark fishing isn't going to stop the criminals from further breaking the law.

Thats just sick. I agree with Jim, a ban will do nothing to stop anyone with that kind of mentality, they need some time behind bars.

Imo, banning shark fishing would be hard to enforce. All an angler would have to say is he or she is fishing for cobia. Just my 2 cents.

Ok,more info from the source. De dnr wants to ban shark fishing period.

Dave, are you comfortable with the credibility of your source? Did you get a chance to find out where he is getting this information?

Has the Delaware DNR made their intentions public?

The 9 shark washed up were finned and had there jaws cut out.

Your wording is a little confusing. Was this one shark or more than one?

I highly doubt such a decision would be made based on a few isolated incidents. Even if the DNR caught someone with the fins in his cooler and the jaws around his neck, prohibiting such a broad activity is unlikely. People have been and will continue to fin sharks from Dewey, Delaware to Hong Kong. However, just ignoring the idea of someone trying to propose this ban doesn't make it go away.

Anyone who assumes this was done by a surf fisherman is foolish. I've done my share of sharkin' over the past few years and I have yet to land a 9' shark from the sand. Of course it can be done, but it is rare and only a set of skilled anglers with proper gear can pull it off.

Ask yourself this: When a 40' whale washes up on the beach does anyone blame beach anglers? Of course not! And it isn't because we don't target whales. Everyone knows that all sorts of stuff washes up on the beach and it doesn't come from the bay... Could this, by any stretch of the imagination, have been a done by someone from a boat? Are they trying to ban shark fishing from a boat because of this dead shark?

Where are the people who want to see this ban enforced?

What do they have to gain from it? Oh yes, someone wants this to happen for a reason whether it is financial or their undying love for sharks.

What are the procedures to get a law passed and how long does it take?

How close is it to already being enforced?

Who ultimately make the final decision?

For something like this to happen (and it has already happened in other states) there has to be a driving force.

History shows that it doesn't take too many people with a "fighting for the cause" attitude to make things happen.

Common sense and facts are often overlooked when emotion and ignorance are involved.

Okay, I think I understand. Nine sharks were found ON the beach, not one nine foot shark.

Well, that changes things a bit.

I would think it more likely these sharks were dumped offshore. But, I wasn't there so I can only guess at this point.

I DO KNOW this was not done by your average angler looking for a set of jaws for his fireplace mantle. This was done by someone who got PAID.

They had the equiptment, skill and time it takes to catch nine sharks as well as fin them and remove thier jaws... Do you think they could accomplish all of this on a Delaware beach, at the peak of tourist season, without getting noticed? Not likely.

The info that I got was from an ai ranger, his girl friend works as a ranger in de, I am not saying to take this information as rule, just to be aware of possibilities that May become reality. Take it for what it is worth, I myself don't believe that the ranger is 100 percent accurate on his facts but there is always some truth to rumors. Sam, it was 9 separate shark not one nine footer. Yes it takes a lot of talent to land a 9+ footer, got my 9 ft 4 sand tiger a few weeks back and beaching one is very dangerous and unnerving to say the least. I hope the people reading this uses this thread to learn and improve themselves as skilled anglers. As for all the talk about the de ban who knows, it is going to be a wait and see type thing. Sam I agree with your statements, I don't know his credibility. That is why it is all hearsay for now but regardless we need to be careful when we fish for shark. I will post more when I get home, hard to get in depth on my phone.

That is some serious posting from a phone!

This is utterly rediculous to ban sharking from the beach for the REASONS GIVEN ABOVE...and originally Dave, you said yak sharking, so I guess its all shark fishing? I thought they were all gut hooked and died, now finnless and jaws taken...SORRY, but this is completely ludicrous. This guy, or whomever you are talkin to, has NO COMMON SENSE...I guess the AI ranger heard this from his girlfriends brothers sisters moms best friends aunts kid.

I think that 99.9% of fisherman are careful with shark as well as other species we catch.

Ok lets ban fishing because some idiots keep illegal fish. No more fishing for anyone!!! what are these people thinking...Like Sam said, maybe these were from fishing boats? WHO THE HELL KNOWS?...How do they know where these sharks were caught?...Oh thats right, they must have a freakin crystal ball and can see what really happened...give me a break!...Lets punish everyone for someones stupid act...this can't be seriuos, because it makes absolutely NO SENSE.

Dave, I am not upset with you, but am about the info you are getting from this person.

Iam going drumming!!!