73 posts in this topic

Ok with all the talk this year of getting a big shark and with all the new to shark fishing anglers I felt that a thread of general shark fishing tactics and responsibilities should be posted. In my opinion if you want to catch a shark but have never done it ask us here on atlantic anglers for someone to join you to "show the ropes".

Better to have experience with you the first time you hook up to that big one with your adrenaline pumping and nerves shot. The other thing is to know where to set up and keep your targeted game on the hush side of things. Im not saying to hide the fact that your sharkin just dont tell everyone you run into on what your going after.

We don't need any more attention to what we are fishin for than what is already being made. Case in point, a fellow shark angler has had great success sharkin up north this year and has posted pictures all over the place. Because of this, this northern state will now be putting in regulations on yaking out baits for quote unquote "big game".

Shark fishing is not illegal,but it is walking a fine line. A lot of the sharks being caught are on the near threatened or threatened species list. If the wrong person catches a shark being mishandled things can get ugly real quick. Now back to location, I emphasized this because I don't think it would be a wise idea to go down to lets say ocean city and set up shop next to dozens of swimmers looking to catch a toothy critter.

I know they are their anyway but to city officials you attracted them to that spot, also using bait attracts them their not because the shark just happens to be their.

I am not trying to complain just want for everyone to be able to enjoy catching these beautiful species for many more years, and want to ensure everyone fishing for them uses good common sense so no one gets hurt including the shark. give some feedback and lets see what everyone else has to say.

Anyone else out on the OSV over the weekend, It was nearly impossible to find a spot that was not right in front of everyone, drove the beach quite a few times. What do you do in that situation, fish a bad spot, or setup in front of people lounging?

It only takes one bonehead to spoil it for everyone and we all know who it is. I've been fishing that north state for 10yrs and have been doing fine by not posting anything about my my catch just because of what is going to happen. There isn't a coastal state that wants to see or here about the big sharks being hauled in from the surf. I just want to thank him for the new regs. and I don't want to hear anyone defending him.

if the beach is overly crowded i usually will fish for bait fish until dark. usually by then swimmers are out of the water and resume sharkin as usual. as for the regs, i have personally talked with rangers and as long as we are responsible all is well.

I agree with you Dave. This the way to go and not way a flag. When you're out infront of God and country don't attract attention.

Dave, maybe I missed something here. I agree with you that the world dosent need to know what we do, and I dont fish so I can showboat my catch all over the place. I do it for the personal enjoyment it gives me and my family. With that being said, theres a whole lot of us that post pictures on here, you and I included. I guess what I'm asking is where is the line? Ok to post in this place but not that one? When I bought this up to a friend of mine the other day he said, Oh, you must not have seen it on the tube, that exact place where you like to fish, up north there. I guess thats what I missed, I was hopeing he was joking me but he assures me he wasent. If thats the case, I couldnt agree with you more. I dont see that doing anything but bringing attention that none of us that fish from the beach need. Have you heard or seen anything about this? I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything or defending or condemning anyone. Ya said ya wanted to know ppl's thoughts, its just my .02 cents worth

ok, glad to see replies. im not saying we should hide what we do, posting pics is fine on any site, just sayin don't post pics if your riding the thing or anything environmentalists can use to condemn shark fishing. i know that the bull shark being caught was a great accomplishment and one to be proud of but why post pics showing 4 guys sitting on it. just adding fuel to the fire. take pride in what you do.but do it responsibly.

if your experienced, you know not to fish for shark alone, it is a team effort with lots of planning. for example if i am hooked up my experienced mate knows to get my bag with all required equipment needed to tag, pic, measure, remove hook and release the shark within 5 minutes. if we all want to enjoy the experience be responsible. i

f you want to learn how contact one of us whom have done it, we would gladly meet up. i have taken many people out just ask andrew k, or oneshot 308 or allen.

ask me what? :icon_rabbit:

Dave does have it down to a science thats for sure!

It all boils down to respect in my opinion..

Well it doesn't take a scientist to figure out that you guys are talking about me. I am going to try and clear a few things up- I understand if you still are upset with me afterwards, I just want to show you my side of things.

I just have a few questions/statements:

Dave, where did you hear that they were banning shark fishing from the beach with yakked baits in <acronym title="Delaware"><acronym title="Delaware">DE</acronym></acronym>? I have not heard about this, but really want to hear about it. There is actually is a "Surf Sharkin' Rodeo" fishing tournament (for money) August 21st right off the State Park beaches north of <acronym title="Indian River Inlet">IRI</acronym>. Old Inlet bait and tackle is running it, and they got approval from the state parks, local gov, and there will be reps from the Del university marine biology dept. tagging/ keeping/ studying the catches. I feel like they wouldn't let this happen if they were banning it. I could be very wrong though.

Also, about the bull shark- I posted it in two places. Here, and the <acronym title="Texas"><acronym title="Texas">TX</acronym></acronym> Sharkin forum. Thats it. I have not flaunted this is any way shape or form- and kept it among people who are "sharkers" and know that these fish swim in these waters. I would never sit there and show this to people outside of these two sharkin communities. If you feel like I have flaunted, I am sorry. There were several people who posted in on other places, and I told them to take it down- none of them did.

So far, We have 77 documented catch, tag (when they were available-we run out frequently), and releases this summer- I've posted maybe 15 of these catches in two separate posts on this forum. I know there are people who have posted much more pictures.

We had a segment on WBOC News showing us shark fishing. If you saw the segment early this summer, it was VERY educational and advertised catch, tag, and release to help "save a species". Mike Parker, the one who filmed it, told me 4 days ago that the feedback is still coming back very positive.

Pop Up Video

(The first Sand Tiger caught in the video was caught again, by us, last night (7/08/2010)! It had grown 4 inches since the beginning of the summer! Goes to show that Circle Hooks, quick release, and proper tools really really works)

As for the environmental side of things- we get on their backs in order to stabilize them. I have a homemade dehooker that I use, and unless you are able to stabilize their head and jaws, that hook will not pop out very quickly- and you risk injuring the fish more. We catch, tag, dehook, and release in under 3 minutes- no questions.

We have proven healthy releases because we have personally re-caught 3 of our tagged Sand Tigers this week (pretty sweeeeet)! Every single one of them were very healthy, and we dehooked, retagged, and released them like always. NOAA is very excited to compare the data that we collected last year and earlier this year with the data from the re-tagged fish

Every time we have people ask us how they can do this on their own, I do my best in conveying the same message you have conveyed here. Safety first, and to be safe, you MUST MUST MUST be prepared. Preperation doesn't come when you finally hook up with a shark and have no idea what to do. Dehooker, bolt cutters, tailrope (it injures them less if you use your hands, but that is only if you are comfortable with them) need to be all ready to go when you get the shark in. Also, IMO, you need at least 4 in your crew- shark fishing alone is deadly.

And as for fishing in crowded areas, we never fish where there are people swimming- usually we start at about 8pm, when everyone is out of the water. Earlier in the summer we fished a couple times in areas where there were a little too many people on the beach for my liking. Since then, we have fished from a private beach (deserted basically), or on Del State parks in uncrowded areas.

I hope I settled some disputes or at least shed some light on what I do. Please respond and ask questions/ tell me how you really feel. My feelings won't be hurt, I just want to clear anything up that might be misconstrued. This is the website where it all started- and I posted that ESSAY-like first shark report 4 or 5 years ago. Sam and friends have helped me out big time and there is nothing more that I want to do than give what I have learned back. The last thing I want to do is prevent people from being able to do this.

God bless

Ben Dziwulski

Ben, I met you a couple times when you would come down and met up with Sam. I enjoy reading your posts and enjoy the pics. i did not by any means try to offend any one just created this thread to inform and because some of the articles i have read recently has raised some concern. I am glad to hear you are fishing off a remote or semi remote beach. I am concerned because another site had printed an article from a local paper stating something along the lines of due to recent complaints <acronym title="Delaware"><acronym title="Delaware">de</acronym></acronym> officials have decided fishing by means of a bait delivery device such as a kayak, surf board etc, will be deemed as big game fishing and will be banned as of april of 2011. i cannot for the life of me find the link as of right now. I am concerned that the wrong people will bend and misconstrue the truth. if word gets around that we are attracting shark when swimmers are present the enviromentalists will have a field day with us down on <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym>. If you are interested we need to meet up and find a way and means to help spread word on what we really do. something along the lines of a seminar here on atlantic anglers per say. My biggest fear is that un educated people will attempt to catch what they see on their own and injure the shark, or worse yet themselves. and at absolute worst case scenerio someone gets bit or attacked while swimming. my main point is to educate everyone on the safety precautions needed to succesfully land the fish and release as quickly and safely as possible. now most people know that i cast for shark, succesfully at that and i prefer a 2 man crew. If i hook up to a shark my team mate knows to grab my equipment bag( a bag with cutters, pliers, measuring tape, camera, and tagging kit. once the shark is in the wash he grabs the shark by the tail and only pulls it in to the light wash, i spike the rod then <acronym title="Delaware"><acronym title="Delaware">de</acronym></acronym> hook the shark proceeded by measuring and finally one pic, 2 if needed. I release the shark, pack the bag then document the catch. my team knows exactly what we got to do and when to do so. i taught my team mate everything he knows. it results in a quick procedure and the shark is usually back in the surf within 2 to 3 minutes. I always <acronym title="Delaware"><acronym title="Delaware">de</acronym></acronym> hook the shark. please dont take offense to this thread it was only started to inform and to recommend to new anglers that many of us will gladly meet up with them to teach them proper techniques. as i said earlier i dont want anyone to get hurt or hurt the shark. Now i know not everyone will be responsible, that is human nature. but i for one do not want something i love to do to be banned or taken away because the wrong impression got out. like i said pm me and we can talk to figure out a solution to help educate and inform about our passion. one more concern, when sitting on the shark, i understand the need to restrain the shark but are you sitting on the shark? I have had to straddle the shark but I do not put any of my weight on the fishif i do straddle the shark i put my weight on my knees none of it on the shark. but anyway ben i am not trying to make any enemies, only new resources.i am really interested in talking with you and putting a plan together.pm me and we can talk. I myself only get a chance to go out 2 to 3 times a week and have tagged 42 shark for the season. I by no means am envious or jealous, i am in fact impressed with the size you have caught. I dont want any misunderstandings. like i said i created this thread to help educate and inform and unfortunately your reputation has made you an easy target. i did not name any names or states to beat anyone down. if it was taken that way i apologize. for the most part i was under the understanding you were on a public beach due to all the "other posts" people were commenting on. you can see my concern in that aspect. like i said i respect you and your catches and am impressed. I do not mean any disrespect. please contact me and we can work out details. i understand about running out of tags, they send me a hand full at a time and usually only covers 2 nights of fishing.

Ok I'm alittle confused, haven't you made a job out of surf fishing. At least that's my impression of your web sight "surfsharking.com". Speking of wich would you have us beleave you didn't post your most impressiveqz catch on your own web sight? And my last Question do you actually "sit" on the animal with no skeleton, no support system for their international orgins, or do you stratel them and squat down and hold them with your calves.

Dave- I definitely understand and agree with your intentions- believe me no offense taken. Forums like this are exactly where these sort of duscussions need to take place.

Education is the key to keeping our rights as anglers alive. Its a dangerous sport, but with education everyone can enjoy it.

If you find that link- PLEASE let me know because I am very interested in reading it. I've seen several people doing sharking during the day at 3r's when I am there with my family and friends just hanging out skimming and whatnot. I feel like many of these day catches are what is leading to public concern. At night we have no audience- so no one should be complaining.

GENERAL- Yes you are correct, I forgot to say that we post the reports on our website- which is not a forum of any kind. However, I'm pretty sure our site got a maximum of about 550 hits last month, so it is really nowhere near the publicity as a site like this. And most of those hits were probably my grandmother.

All of our guide fishing is done on a private beach that one of my buddy lives on. There literally is zero people on the beach every night, so it is a perfect place to shark and not scare any beachgoers whatsoever. Our trips are very educational, but most people are just looking to catch one- not try to duplicate the results themselves.

As for the shark handling. We handle our sharks with care. When we "sit" on them it is purely for stabilization. We put our hands on their head with some pressure to keep it from squirming and flipping over, and our knees are on the ground, with little to no weight actually on the back of the shark. The only other pressure is with our knees squeezing the side of the shark if they try to squirm when we get the hook out. We also have someone on the tail to keep that from moving and whipping anyone. Bottom line is that we get our sharks out and back into the water quickly and as safely as we can. Our hook-out percentage is 90%+ with the 20/0 circle hooks we use, and as we have noticed with our recent re-catches, our techniques are working and the sharks are staying healthy.

When the shark is 8.5ft+, you simply cannot be super gentle with it, or else it will slap you with its tail and throw you off of it- never getting the hook out- wasting more time and hurting the shark more. The quicker the better when it comes to catch and release.

I wish there was some way to convince people- but I care about these sharks and in no way do I ever want to hurt them. We handle them as quick as possibly and with as much care as we can.

Dave- I'd love to meet up and talk about what we can do to continue the educational process of this sport we love- only problem is that I am shipping off to college on Thursday.

Lets keep this discussion going...

Ben Dziwulski

God Bless

This has been one of the most educational threads I've read in my short 7-8 years of surf fishing. The advanced perceptions shared by some elder anglers (and that doesn't mean older), has really given me something to think about. I am a more responsible angler because of this thread, and that deserves my gratitude. Thanks for sharing everyone. While I’ve never hurt a fish, as I start to catch bigger fish and go for bigger fish, it reminds me to keep learning as you could do something even if unintentional. Anything that promotes safety of fish, resources, and anglers sustains our current situation, which I've grown to love in my short 7-8 years out on Assateague. And yes, there are always those who wish to take away our passion, so it’s important we look at these angles and perceptions. Thanks again for all those sharing. Take care of your beach, water, and fish. Teach a kid to fish, and teach a kid to fish correctly- that’s what you’ve done for me here. (35yr old kid.) Thanks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

This is where a picture paints/speaks 1000 words. Everyone sees it differently and takes away something different. Some see it as a bunch of young adults carrying on, tormenting and riding a big shark where as most anglers see it as a great feat and job well done. I've pulled in 4 to 5 footers off the surf without yaking out, so the critters are out there even when there are swimmers in the area. When you do hook one of these toothy critters on a crowded beach what is the proper etiquette? Personally I think keeping it under control and confined to the area in front of you, dehook and release as soon as you can. I've gotten everything from nice catch to why did you put it back in the water.

trust me if the shark gets to over 6 ft you will need to follow it to land it, i would rather land it than have 200 yards of line snapped off still attached to the shark, ben good luck in school, glad we are on the same page, but maybe next season we can get together and share tactics or over the winter we can work out a plan to put into effect next season. as for the shark over 8 ft I know that they can be a hand full just last week i landed a 9 footer that you could barley move let alone handle. that took me and my team mate full concentration to get back out quickly. im glad this thread is helping every one out. if anyone else has any ideas to help improve the impression we give to the general public please speak up. this thread is to be used as an informative tool to those just getting started or as a refresher for those that have been away for a while. and once again my offer stands, anyone whom wants to learn shark fishing just send me a p.m. and i will gladly meet up with members to share my knowledge that i have learned strictly on this site. keep the comments coming!

This has been one of the most educational threads I've read in my short 7-8 years of surf fishing. The advanced perceptions shared by some elder anglers (and that doesn't mean older), has really given me something to think about. I am a more responsible angler because of this thread, and that deserves my gratitude. Thanks for sharing everyone. While I’ve never hurt a fish, as I start to catch bigger fish and go for bigger fish, it reminds me to keep learning as you could do something even if unintentional. Anything that promotes safety of fish, resources, and anglers sustains our current situation, which I've grown to love in my short 7-8 years out on Assateague. And yes, there are always those who wish to take away our passion, so it’s important we look at these angles and perceptions. Thanks again for all those sharing. Take care of your beach, water, and fish. Teach a kid to fish, and teach a kid to fish correctly- that’s what you’ve done for me here. (35yr old kid.) Thanks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

thank you, this means a lot to me and my team mate. I just want to take what Sam created and what i have learned on this site and use it to educate the rest of the members and any guests who might be thinking about joining. I am currently in pittsburgh trying to recruit more members to the site. your comment means a lot and i am very appreciative for it. I my self have only been surf fishing for about 10 years now and the amount of knowledge i have picked up thanks to Sam and this site is now imbedded into my head forever. the least i can do is pass my knowledge on.

the least i can do is pass my knowledge on.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

WOW !!!! - Thanks Dave -

Not too many people like to share on this days ( they keep secret... fishing spots, technics etc.) but this is one of the reasons why I keep my tent here. And I see a lot of comment around others sites " learn in you own " " go fish " " spend time " and it is fine but if I can learn from some one a better technic or more information how to do better or the right way, why NOT.

Thanks all of you guys that like to share....

BTW, Thaks SAM ( and the rest of the gang ) for keeping the site " family friendly "

:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Ben. Sorry if i came off as upset or being mean. This was not my intent. Im sorry

I have an abundents of geratitude for this entier web sight and members that i have had the injoyment of meating/fishing with thank you all

i am glad to keep this a friendly site, Sam has put his heart and soul into making this the friendliest most informative site around. It was because of Sam,Coop Igormothra and a few others that i gave up fresh water fishing and fell absolutely in love with salt water fishing. I just want to keep learning myself and teach what i have learned to others. there are no secrets with me. I will share all my info most of the time. just not going to give up good fishin holes on the web, for that you would have to just meet up sometime. but lets get back to the original thread which is the responsibilities of shark fishing. lets keep em coming.

General- no hard feelings at all.

Like Dave said- this site is tha bomb.......a phenomenal resource. Sam has worked hard to keep it friendly, truthful, and informative.

Now, I just got wind that there have been a few dead Sand Tigers that have washed up on DE beaches lately. They were gut hooked with Stainless Steel J-Hooks. For everyone reading : THAT IS WHAT WILL GET SHARK FISHING BANNED!

Please be responsible and protect these sharks and use the correct equipment. I have used 20/0 Mustad circle hooks almost exclusively the past 2 years, and my hook out percentage is through the roof. The key is to have the hook very exposed, have it razor sharp, and set the hook as soon as you see the shark start to run with your bait (all you do is reel as fast as possible to set circle hooks). If you wait too long they will swallow the bait, and thus will be gut hooked.

Also, a good de-hooker is a must. If you do not have time to make one or the money to buy one, cutting off a hook in the corner of the mouth is much better than one in the stomach of a fish. Always use circle hooks!

My rant is done :angel1:

Ben

that is appalling that there are people still using j hooks when circle hooks have proven themselves time and time again. I use 10/0 mustad circle demons and have never gut hooked with one, i would much rather have a hook pop out then gut hook any day of the week. But that just goes to show you ben, people have been reading our posts and taking it apon themselves to go out and catch big shark. that is the main reason i started this thread. to educate. I can not emphasize this enough PLEASE USE CIRCLE HOOKS. thanks for the info ben. by the way i was talkin to a ranger on AI and he had said that delaware fisherman have been using stinger rigs, now from what i understand of this rig is that it is a typical hook rigged through the fish near the head then a small piece of metal run through the baits body with a treble hook coming out the tail. He had said that a lot of dead gut hooked shark and fish were washing up due to this rig and if he were to catch someone using one on AI he would personally push for the max punishment. So if anyone is using this rig get rid of it. it is not needed to catch big shark, i can personally attest to that.

I have been using J-Hooks my whole life in freshwater and have experienced many guthooks! They are NOT fun for you OR the fish! Once I started learning about shark fishing(thanks to this site) I also learned about circle hooks(also thanks to this site.) I was a skeptic at first, but that is all I have used to catch sharks and they work GREAT! I use the 16/0 Mustad circle hooks and they work just as you guys claim. That's all I will ever use again while fishing. We don't need these awesome creatures to die simply because of some skepticism about circle hooks. USE CIRCLE HOOKS!

P.S. Where do you buy 20/0 circle hooks? I know they are not completely necessary, but I have never seen them in stores and was curious where they come from...