11 posts in this topic

I have been using Power Pro at Assateague and someone there suggested using Spiderwire Ultracast braid as it casts further and is easier to tie knots with. Would appreciate comments from anyone who has experience using both braids. Josh

If your using spinning reels try using sufix performance braid. i believe its better than both spider wire and power pro. Daiwa samurai is really good to, but its expensive and I never tried it in the surf.

I personally don't like using braid in the surf when targeting bigger fish like stripers and drum. Way too many mystery break offs for me. It seems braid doesn't hold up to the constant rubbing on the sandbars and shells like mono line does. I do use braid backing to increase the amount of line on my reel when shark and drum fishing, never had a problem with it there.

exactly what Jim wrote.. I tried braid in the surf and quickly learned mono is much better.

again the same from me, i used power pro for about 2 years, and those were the most amount of break offs i have ever had. mono for me.

again the same from me, i used power pro for about 2 years, and those were the most amount of break offs i have ever had. mono for me.

Thanks for the feedbackand suggestions. I have been using braid for many years. No break offs as yet . What I like about is is that I can feel what is happening at the end of the line , it casts further than mono, and no need for a shock leader. i

Thanks for the feedbackand suggestions. I have been using braid for many years. No break offs as yet . What I like about is is that I can feel what is happening at the end of the line , it casts further than mono, and no need for a shock leader. i

how often do you change your line?

braid has its strengths and weaknesses as does mono, braid has no memory, super thin, and great pull strength. but its has a big flaw, shear strength is horrible. that and that alone is the main reason i quit using braid. lost to many big fish because of the braid being nicked by sea shells and such. just my 2 cents.

I have fished braid in the surf off AI for the last 2 years without a single problem. I use 20, 30, 50 and 65# Power Pro and have never experienced a single issue unless it was caused by me. I love being able feel what the bottom is like and only having to give a slight tug on the line to set the hook instead of rearing back with mono. I am going to try Fireline this fall to see if it will give me a little extra distance. Otherwise I am very pleased with Power pro.

if using circle hooks no hook setting is needed. now remember this is just an opinion not an argument. to each his own, i just prefer mono, I had way to many cut lines on seashells and if i had a blow up it was to expensive to respool. just my 2 cents take it for what it is. both have their advantages and disadvantages. to each his own. keep the comments rolling in, i want to hear everyones opinions.

braid has its strengths and weaknesses as does mono, braid has no memory, super thin, and great pull strength. but its has a big flaw, shear strength is horrible. that and that alone is the main reason i quit using braid. lost to many big fish because of the braid being nicked by sea shells and such. just my 2 cents.
Why has braid less sheer strength than mono and is this true only when they have matching test strength? Wouldnt 50 test braid have greater sheer strength than 20 Ib mono? Josh

Why has braid less sheer strength than mono and is this true only when they have matching test strength? Wouldnt 50 test braid have greater sheer strength than 20 Ib mono? Josh

Lb for Lb yes braid has more pulling strength, but it has a weakness that it doesn't stretch at all, so there is no cushion given to any knots or equipment on sudden pulls (like hook sets), whereas mono has a lot of stretch in the line and will provide somewhat of a cushion during sudden and hard pulls. This is also the reason mono line holds better in the surf, with braid any current moving the line grabs the sinker and pulls on it, with mono you have some line stretch before the sinker starts rolling.

also put a piece of braid and a piece of mono under tension and touch each with a jagged edge, the braid will almost always snap fairly quickly, while the mono will just fray and weaken the line gradually.