5 posts in this topic

I had a friend i grew up with, Kevin, in town this weekend so i took him and the brother in law out for some spades at the CBBT. Once again the morning started off with some rough water but it laid out pretty nicely by the middle of the day. We tried my favorite spot with no luck which was a first. Then we moved around to the other side of the 4th. Within 10 minutes we had our first spade of the day. We ended up with 7 spades all a ranging from 4-5lbs. Which were larger than the previous week. We headed back to the ramp at wise piont around 1 and had another great day on the bay.

They have been smaller this year from what I hear, nice to see you get some bigger ones!

Ive had a few guys give me advice on where they have been catching fish double that size but i havent had an luck. It has been to rough for me to handle the boat and fish where they are sending me but they ar e out there.

5852a595c9b5f_2010-07-11spade.jpg.43ef63

I fished there yesterday for Flounder and Cobes from the high rise to half-way to the 4th and they (Spades) were everywhere. Huge schools of 30-200 in some places right on the surface of the water with just a few folks fishing for them.

We were targeting Flounders and Cobes so we didn't have the proper tackle but it didn't seem too difficult to hit a limit from what I saw.

Plenty of flat ones for us with all the Turds (Toads) to go with them but only two 21" fish for the dinner table. I did hook a 3-3 1/2' Shark that I thought was Flounder-zilla until I got it to the boat. We had 3 shots at Cobes too that swam by the boat but didn't want to eat what we threw at them.

Doesn't sound like a bad day. I heard that there are a ton of jellyfish around the chesapeake light. That's probably whats driven more spades in. Most of the cobia ive caught around the bridge sight casting wouldnt take anything but live spot. I tried buck tails and numerous artificials but a live spot was instantly attacked. You better have some heavy tackle to pull them away from the pilings though. Wont be out there this weekend but the next i think i might sit on the shoals and try for some cobia. Good luck.