22 posts in this topic

Well the past few year's ive been trying different brands of fishing lines and some are better then others. Some hold knots better, some have less memory, and some will cast farther then others. The best brand that i have tried was Ande line. But i would like to here what brand line you guys use.

for the surf.... Sufix tritanium plus

Its next to impossible to find though.

For braid -- Daiwia Samuri braid

its expensive!

bass pro has the tritanium last time i was up there, but you guys dont have one close to you.

i use power pro on almost all my small rods. i typically use 20 or 30 lb test depending on the rod size. ive found the smaller the braid the further you can cast. and its easier to break if you get a good snag. with the big heavy lb test sometimes you have a hard time breaking off if you get a snag. the knot i use is the palomar knot i think, its what ever knot they tell you to use on the instructions inside the power pro box. i love the stuff, bent hooks straight pulling it out of snaggs before. ive pulled other people's rigs out of snags before as well.

andrew, do you use a monofilament backing or do you use a peice of tape, or just put it straight on the reel?:eusa_shifty:

i use a mono backing...not a lot of it though, you dont need much, i use typically some cheap 10lb test mono i have lying around. normally i only put maybe 10 wraps on the spool, then tie the braid to it using an albright and fill the reel up. ive seen people put 20 some yards on the reel, thats just dumb (IMO). the backing stops the braid from spinning on the spool, and ive done it before and it will spin. now if you have a reel that has a loop or a hole or somthing that might be alittle different.

I 2nd Andrew K on the Power pro. I use it on most of my large & medium reels - from 20# up to 65#. I have never had any issues with it as far as mystery break-offs etc. It is reliable and easily available and if I shop around and look for deals fairly affordable. On my lite stuff I use mainly mono 6# to 12#. I like Berkley Big Game - I have used it for years with no issue.

Good Luck ! :happy8:

I like the power pro on my spin rods close the bail manually no problem with wind knots. On the conventals i've been using 17lb. silver thread so far it's been great it has a smaller diameter than most of the other brands i've tried and holds any knot i use real well!!!

ya ive always have been looking at that berkley big game line but never bought it for some reason???:confused: I may have to try it out tho.:happy10:

ya ive always have been looking at that berkley big game line but never bought it for some reason???:confused: I may have to try it out tho.:happy10:

I use berkley big game for my shock leaders. 50 and 60 lb. Great stuff

yea i was looking at that...um for the new rod im gonna get i think im gonna stay with the the sufix jim recommended me... for my old rod that my friend will use next year cause i can bring a friend i think i will try berkley big game 20# and my small rod power pro 30# just because it leaves some money in my wallet.:book1:....

I know you guys say when using braided line that you should always use a mono leader and i no that from using braid before. but my question to you is how long and how strong?:confused: Ive heard people say the braid should never toucch the water but others like it shorter? I dont know if the rod matters but its a shakespeare ugly stik 6'6". Its sort of my all- purpose rod. Thats the rod i use to catch kings spots blues and small stripers.

I quess i have alot of questions because ive asked like 5 already and i have so many looming in my head!!:evil5:!!! Thanks for all the help from all of you you have all been a bigger help then you probably know!!!:hello:

I agree 100% with the sufix tritanium... Down at bucks place we have 1/4 lb spools of suffix tritanium plus and can probably get 1 lb spools... But that's the only mono that I will use on my surf rods... Gl to ya all

for my surf rods i use mono. braid moves too much in the surf for me. as far as mono i have used several different types, offshore angler, stren stamina, berkly big game, suffix tritanium. currently i have 20lb big game on one heaver and 17lb suffix on another. im not going to lie, that suffix tritanium stuff is nice. if you havn't used it yet, i recommend it.

as far as the braid goes, i know some people swear you have to use a floro leader of at least a few feet so the fish dont see the braid. unless your fishing in crystal clear water i dont think it matters. i tie the braid directly to the flounder jigs/lures/what ever im throwing. never had an issue.

another reason i swear by power pro, this past spring while fishing a bridge down here in va beach, i was fishing lynnhaven inlet, fishing the inside of the bridge on the out going current, i was casting out and letting the current take my lure underneath the bridge and bringing it back around the pilons, sure i broke a few off, but i also caught a bunch of decent schooly stripers. i was impressed that i was able to pull the fish out around the pilons with a very strong out going current.

Just put the braid onto my smaller reel. I used some 10lb seaguar red label floro as my backing cause thats what was laying aroud. But i dont have any line to use for my leader yet.:icon_tongue:

suffix tri conventionals and suffix braid for the spinner

alltackle has the big spools.

I use power pro braid, thin and strong on spin and my baitcaster. And Big game on a couple spiners. I do get some knots on the baitcaster. I notice youguys don't use braids on your caster reels. Is mono the way to go on them? New to the world of baitcaster reels.

suffix tritanium is by far my favorite line for the beach...Bass Pro in Hampton has the 1/4 spools but not the big spools

id bet they order them if you ask them about them....

i dont use braid on my heavers for three reasons...1- i dont like the way braid moves in the water, 2 - if you blow it up (big back lash) and a loop of braid grabs your thumb, its going to hurt, and 3 - when you have a bad blow up with braid, its normally un-forgiving and you'll have to cut.

i second what andrew k said about not using braid on heavers...also if you are going to use braided line in saltwater i would suggest using power pro over suffix for baitcasting reels, i have had some bad luck with suffix in saltwater