8 posts in this topic

Well got back from oc and had a great time met alot of people turned 15 and im down there i decided well i dont love my rod and reel. So thought i might as you guys. I would like a rod that can cast alot of weight like 8+oz. and im lookin for a reel that will hold like 300 yards of 20lb test. It can be casting or spinning and i would like the rod and reel to be under $250. Oh and a 2 peice rod is neccesary because i obviously travel so thanks. This is question number 1 after the 2010 oc trip.

Tica UEHA or Ocean Master Rod will do the trick. both around 120- - 150 dollars.

If you want a casting reel a daiwa SHV30 would be a good choice. A Penn mag525 would be good as well but doesn't hold your 300 yards of 20lb test.

If you want a spinning reel check out a shimano baitrunner 6500.

I second Jim's suggestion for the Shimano Baitrunner 6500 - find a B model. They are plentiful on fleabay - but check out some of the big box stores like Dicks or Sports authority. They carried them while they were in production and just may have one floating around yet. If you are using spinning gear and doing bait n'wait they will serve you well. I have several and work them hard - they have never failed me and easily handle large fish.

For a rod go with the ocean master 12' 6-12oz. For $ 150.00 you can't go wrong. I don't have any experience with Tica's although I have been toying with getting a 4-10oz 12' for awhile. A few friends have them and do well with them. Good luck

Rich

Question #2- When Shark fishing from the beach what # test leader do you guys use and how long. And i know that this is a personal preference and there is no right or wrong answer but im just trying to get an idea and average out your responses.:book1:

i use a couple inches of steel leader material then a couple feet of weed eater line attached to my normal shock leader.

for the shark rigs i use 5 inch of wire to swivel to 150lb or 200lb mono for the rub leader, usually make that 4-6 depending on how im feeling that day. tie the rub leader to another swivel to my shock and main.