Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greenmtnman

Scrap the Rod, or Rebuild: Your Opinion.

5 posts in this topic

So I have a 12' cabelas salt striker rod, rated 3-8oz (total bull, more like, 2-5, maybe 6) that has lost the rings out of the 3rd and 5th eyes from the top. I stuck the 5th back in, but I know I'm on borrowed time.

I bought it in the bargin cave at a cabelas retail store for $50. My question is this: I've had several quotes of replacing the eyes for $9-11 an eye + cost of parts. I'm thinking of just replacing all the eyes with something higher quality. Total cost would then therefore be around $90 give or take. Making the rod more expensive than it cost new ($140 new rod vs. $120 retail).

What do you think? Should I just save the $90 and save up for another rod? I really like the action and weight of the rod...but I just got a tsunami air wave 8' lure rod for the surf and I can see where one might say just scrap the thing and get something better.

Thanks!

Jerry

you can easily fix it yourself for just the cost of parts. Wrapping a new guide on the rod isn't very hard at all. I would not scrap a rod over a few busted rings.

Alright, I'll bite. How tough is it to do it myself? What tools would I need?

you really don't need much.

You can get a large cardboard box and cut two V's in it to use as a rod support. You can put the thread in a coffee cup and run it through a thick book to hold tension on it.

If you do some searches on Youtube they show you how to start a wrap. Also Mudhole.com has some nice instructions for rod building 101.

thanks jim, I may try it not sure. i mean, why not right? the rod is crap anyways.

thanks again.