21 posts in this topic

The larger Stripers have moved off with the warmer water. The Kings, Sand Perch and Spot have made their presence known. Sharking is off the hook, with Spinners up to 6', Sandbars up to 7' and Sandtigers up to 9'.

Best of luck and please be careful when Shark fishing.

Just back from a great holiday weekend. Fished 3r's Friday afternoon, Conquest area Saturday & Sunday late morning - late afternoon.

Didn't see one Blue Fish caught? Lots of little Doggies, a few skates, I hooked a large ray, got him right before the wash and the hook gave way. (was kind of happy about that!) A few kingfish spread out Best time for all fish seemed to be right before high water, but was action off & on all day Sat & Sunday.

(Friday @ 3 R's was a skunk for me maybe due to getting there right at high tide)

Kingfish were on the fish bites bloodworms, other fish on squid, cut finger mullet, and fresh bunker.

Did see a first for me, Sunday afternoon guy next to me pulled in a small Hammerhead, somewhere around 20-24" is my estimate.

All in all a great weekend weather at the beach was fantastic.

:drunken_smilie:

thanks for the report... for some reason the blues have been hanging in the inlets this year. Ive havent seen any caught in the surf this year but heard of like 5 a week all over md and de. Its strange but they were still big last week in iri caught a nice one and a smaller one...:icon_puke_r: they were perfect eating size!!!:icon_thumleft:

FISP was hit or miss, guys next to me were sharking but got nothign all day. I pulled in 2 kings a day, off fishbites bloodworm. Kingfish were hitting right past the some of the early breakers, i was using my small pole to fish for them. Guy next to me friday said he had gotten a few Blues, and brought in a 40lb cownose ray when we were there. Amazing weather, and nice to see the beach clear out a bit yesterday.

I took the family out to DSSP and we started "Stinging the Kings". No really big ones, but they were steady.

I took the family out to DSSP and we started "Stinging the Kings". No really big ones, but they were steady.

Morty,

What is the best way to rig for kings,hook size, bait,etc???

Thanks,

Hulk

i'm not morty, but i have luck with a top/bottom rig using alternative bloodworms(fishbites). Usually i just stop in Hook'em Cook'em and pickup one of the rigs that has a yellow floater and a red floater, not sure of the hook size, but its perfect for kings. I really should have kept the one king i brought in Sunday, fattest one ive had so far this season.

I used something a little different to catch my kings. On my small rod I put a small sinker on the end of the line, and used a hook with red beads & small gold spinner tied off of a fish finder rig. Most of mine were on fishbites bloodworms. The few fat ones were females full of eggs. Only kept one that was deep hooked. Most all were caught just outside the wash.

I used something a little different to catch my kings. On my small rod I put a small sinker on the end of the line, and used a hook with red beads & small gold spinner tied off of a fish finder rig. Most of mine were on fishbites bloodworms. The few fat ones were females full of eggs. Only kept one that was deep hooked. Most all were caught just outside the wash.

I should say i did the same, i use my small rod, and throw it just past the breakers.

Are you saying, you basically use a fish finder rig with light weight sinker and small hook? What size hook and sinker are you using?

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Yes, I use the same T&B rig. I use a Mutu hook, it is like a modified circle hook. I was stripping out Bunker for bait. I also had fresh mullet, but the wanted the bunker. I tried fishbytes and got nothing.

Don't cast over them:icon_wink:

Fishbytes are hit or miss. They work well for me with smaller fish(Croakers/Kings) when i use the bloodworms. I caught some funky Eel off the Clam fishbyte, and the squid seems to only get me the occasional trout, and mostly skates. But if its a day when we get down to the beach at 2pm on a friday and i dont want to dip into my frozen stuff until the following day, it works just fine.

thats one thing i wouldnt mind to catch is a trout. You dont here that much about trout from the surf. Anything else you guys catch trout on???? And what time of year???:icon_rabbit:

Fished 3R's over night on Sunday. 3 of us out there. Very slow. Several very very small doggies. Looked like newborns. 3 Kings, 4 clearnosed skates and thats it. Fished blood worms, kingfish chunks, skate chunks, and Clam snouts. Clam snouts worked the best. Had several runoffs on kingfish chunks but nothing hooked. IRI was crowded with drunk Mexicans so we headed to the surf.

dansparty, did you see any toothy critters get pulled in over the weekend??? im heading down july 24-25th, with high hopes

Don't worry Hook- the sharks are in THICK. Especially if you have an incoming tide after sunset, or if you get a nice cloudy day. We have been catching them from 122nd in OC north to IRI. Most are coming on Bluefish for us. Several BIG Sand Tigers, and some pretty big Sandbars over 7ft. As this water keeps getting warmer, I wouldn't be too surprised if someone lucks into a Great Hammer or a Tiger or a few bulls. Good luck!

Is there a way to catch these big sharks without having your bait kayaked out? Im going down again on Monday and Tuesday and would love to target them.

Yeah Dan... they can be caught with heavy casting gear!!! if you get down feel free to get in touch and we can get out on the beach!!! my cell is 717.991.3882 feel free to call me anytime! I will probably be out at least 5 nights this week!

MY biggest Sand Tiger ever was caught on Casting gear. They are all over the place man, we just find it more consistent and easier to get really big baits out there with a kayak. Bigger bait= bigger fish ....................usually.