9 posts in this topic

i am going down the week after july 4th(5-9),dont have a boat, where should i go to catch stripers, blues, flounder etc. and what time of day. i fish for stripers alot just have never fished in the area. thanks!

just along the side of the inlet or off the jetty.... please take extreme caution on any of the rocks becasue they become so slipery. But if you are going for stripers i like a big 6 or 8 inch curltail on a 2 ounce bucktail jig. But if you are fishing during the day the stripers will be on the bottom so i like to ad an inline sinker to my line. I like 1-2 oz. Don't let the jig sit because as you probably already know the inlet as a rocky bottom and if you let it sit you will get snagged every time. But the inlet can be very rewarding this time of year for stripers. Since there are not as many stripers in the surf and they moved back into the bays ( mostly small ones) and into the inlet. Try to fish high tide because that will be your best bet.:icon_salut: And if you read the reports just posted on the maryland part of the forum they were catching them in the bays on topwater so if you want to walk back a little more you can fish the bay.

thanks. what about night fishing? what lures? live eels?

night fishing bout the same use gotcha plug and swim shads. live eels will work great for stripers hope this helped.

I do all my fishing at night at IRI. Ive seen fish caught on all kinds of set ups. Everyone has their favorite. This year I did a lot of long lining with black and purple flys. I have caught stripers this way every time I have gone out. last few years I used 5-6 inch storm lures, and rigged eels. I have even caught them jiggin bass asassins on the rocks. Hell Monday night a guy was catching rockfish on pieces of chicken soaked in peeler oil. Watch the dam rocks! spend the money and buy some spikes. I have a pair of rubbers that fit over my shoes that have spikes on the bottom. You can get them at Old Inlet bait and tackle I believe.

thanks man i have spike shoes for when i do jetty fishing. does it get crowded at night? what kind of rigs for the eels

well I avoid friday and saturdays. Weeknights seem to be not that crowded. Theres always people out on the Jetty. This time of year people are fishing on the rocks under the bridge. Only problems I have is when you are long lining your flies and the shortliners hanging by the coast guard station continually cast over you causing lines to cross.

well this time ill be going down during the week. thanks alot

Dan,

What are you referring to when you say "long-lining" and "short ling"

Thanks,

Bill