7 posts in this topic

I am going after the biters specifically next week. I figure it is time to target them, because whether you target them or not, they are gonna be there.

I figured next week's tides look good, with a high tide shortly after dark. The plan is to drive out on the beach around 6 pm, hopefully find a good hole, and then give it a go with big baits and wire til around 11 or midnight. I don't have the luxury of being able to spend the whole night like I would prefer. Perhaps a few times later in the summer.

So here is my question in regards to tides. Do you experienced sharkers pay attention to tides at all when sharking, or do you just chuck out the fresh fish and hope for the best? My thinking is that the higher the tide the closer the sharks will come and thus less of a cast needed with the big baits. Last year, on the couple of ocasions that I stayed out all night, I caught (or at least had hookups) on all tides, so I am wondering if it matters or was that coincidence.

Tight lines all.

Matt in Salisbury

High tide is always my preferance,but as you say,shark will bite on any tide.also when sharking i leave the reel in free spool and give the shark time to get it in his mouth all the way before he realizes there is a hook in his meal .let him run with it before setting the hook.most of my sharking is from a boat.regular surf guys may have different opinions.

Im no expert but have been surf fishing for 3 summers now. My experience is that they start biting just before dark whether it be high or low tide. We have caught sharks usually 3' to 5' on average. Give me a report when you get back because Im going next weekend. Thanks

My experience is that they start biting just before dark whether it be high or low tide.

Same here..

I keep my drag fairly tight. When he bites that bait, he's going to chomp down and keep swimming. You don't want to give him time to feel that hook and drop it.

Fished ai monday nite,south of the bull pen, got there for the outgoing tide, watched dolphin feeding inside the bar, caught several small clearnose rays, hooked into something powerfull and fast about 1030 pm, fought it for 10 - 15 minutes, and pulled the hook. Shock leader was badly abraided for about 6 ft. Then the mosquitos really turned on. Watched a heat lightning display high in the sky down towards va., not another bite. Previous friday nite caught 5 ft spinner, jumped twice, then jumped off a larger one. John

from my experience, high tide will be more productive. for example, last week i caught 3 shark mon, 2 tue and 2 wens. this week one good hook up sun, line broke after a 45 min fight, sand tiger. mon night one caught after midnight one incoming tide was a small black tip. last night one quick knock down but didnt fully take the hook. point is last week all caught on incoming tide, this week slow at low tide and bite picked up after tide change. for the year i am at 13 shark in 5 trips, two biggest over 6 ft, with the avg around 4ft.