5 posts in this topic

Had the day off and headed to NOB for some early season flounder tagging. According to my records, the flounder should be at the pier and begin to bite any day for this location. Arrive to a cooler than expected fog/cloud covered morning and begin to toss my 1/4 oz red jig head with a 4" chartreuse gulp alive swimming mullet.

Nothing for a bit and I am talking to one other Navy Active Duty fisherman as he is using a white gulp and a chartreuse head. Both of us working the rail up and down, till I finally start getting some short flounder taps. Let them eat and finally bring up my first flounder of the year at 10" long and toss him back. That's right, no tag due to this year only flounder 12" and over get tagged.

I keep getting hit on the chartreuse so I ask the Navy guy if he wants one and he accepts. Sun begins to burn off the fog and we both start working hard, but catching some more flounder in the 13"-14" range, tag them and let them go.

I then had a nice fat 16"-17" flounder by a piling take me and had him almost to the rail when he got off, so I dropped my gulp right back down there. WHAM, get smacked again and as I lift the flounder off the bottom, he takes off. Managed to stay out of the pilings and get him to the surface and it's not the same fish, only one bigger. With no net around and not taking the risk, I walk him all the way down to the rocks where the Navy guy walks down and grabs him, while I beached the flounder. Flounder came in just a small bit over a keeper, so in the box he went!:blob1:

Slow the rest of the time out there, but nice to get out, my guess is this inconsistent weather has the flounder a bit off for this location.

Total for the day was 6 fish tagged, 1 tossed back, 3 lost at the rail and 1 keeper! Almost forgot, the Navy guy had a beautiful healthy schoolie rockfish right at 22" long whiched smacked his jig as he was pulling it out of the water.

Filleted up the flounder and my son and daughter tore it up for dinner last night and even let me have some as well!

Gotta love the chartreuse! Thanks for the report.

just stopped by to say howdy ~

just stopped by to say howdy ~

Hi Jamie.. Long time! :hello:

thanks for the report Steve, i figured it was any time now that they would show up out there