11 posts in this topic

i was wondering how to cut squid for using it as bait. If you know of any vids please give me links thanks.:happy7:

don't need a vid. Rip the tentacles out, insert your knife up the body and slice it all the way to the top. rip off the wings (save to use if they are big enough, if not discard). Peel all the skin off the outside so you have one clean piece of squid. Cut the bottom part from the top at the increased taper. You'll want to make long triangles out of the top and bottom half. Excuse the horrid artwork, but I fish, not draw :)

untitled.jpg.27d29cfe1569dda6a9ef75e3f75

Peel all the skin off the outside so you have one clean piece of squid.

How do you peel the squid...I never did this before. Las year was my firs year fishing with squid but did'n know I have to peel it.

Thanks for the info. :-{0

The pink skin will peel right off with your fingernails,wash it off till it is a clean white,then cut it in the way fishaholic's drawing shows.Another alternative is to purchase the large ocean squid,already cleaned and frozen,available in some local bait stores,and ready to cut into whatever size bait you want to make.(I get mine at hook em and cook em at Indian river inlet).This is a much larger squid and makes a thicker bait,and more to my liking.

Oh, don't buy the frozen blocks of squid at the bait store. If you have time prior to needing it, head to an international market and buy squid there. That squid is much bigger, the pieces are much easier to work with and last a lot longer. Only use the frozen block squid at the bait shop if you absolutely have to. That squid is very small and very thin. You might catch 2 or 3 fish off of one piece, compared to 10-12 off of the other. You also get a much longer strip of bait which will entice the fish. You are looking for the action the long tapered strip of bait makes as much as you are the scent.

Thanks !!!!.

Good info.

The pink skin will peel right off with your fingernails,wash it off till it is a clean white

This is my next home work... I'm looking for A+:eusa_dance:

Yeap:

head to an international market and buy squid there

We have two of this places by my house and they have a real GIANT squids, I used some of this last summer but didn't know I have to peel it.( just clean the inside and used ) and I use the frozen boxes, didn't catch any fish.

Thanks, I hope the best for this year and same to you guys.

What is the purpose of peeling the skin off the squid?

.Another alternative is to purchase the large ocean squid,already cleaned and frozen,available in some local bait stores,and ready to cut into whatever size bait you want to make

ocean squid is also called large tube squid. its tougher then normal box crap.

Croakers love it!

What is the purpose of peeling the skin off the squid?
a nice clean white piece of bait. Again, remember the fish aren't attracted just because it's squid, the scent and the look/action are what attacts the fish. Plus I was once told by an old man while fishing down at hatteras, Always use a nice neat clean piece of bait. Fish can be picky, if it doesn't look nice they may just pass it up. Not sure how right the old man was, but hey it doesn't hurt.

Great info, guys. :)