3 posts in this topic

Hey guys and gals,

I’m trying to get prepared for my first real season of fishing at <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym> (I went out one day at the end of last Summer but I got skunked). I'm from Arizona and I'm very new to fishing from the surf but I am extremely excited for it! However, I was reading another thread, heard someone talking about something called a shock leader and realized, I really need to be schooled in the right equipment/techniques or I am bound for broken lines, equipment and lost fish! So I'm trying to put together a list of all the gear I need to get started. Help would be greatly appreciated!

All the best!

Hondo

I started out with a cheap 10ft okuma combo from the local bait and tackle shop.It cost me like 40 dollars for the rod and reel.

For line in the surf get some mono between 15 and 20lb test. Most of the diehards use 17 or 20lb.

Get a spool of 50lb test and small spool of 100lb test mono to make rigs and shockleaders. You'll need a couple of barrel swivels, and some hooks. For Stripers I like to use 8/0 gami circle hooks. Get smaller hooks for targeting smaller size fish. You are also going to need some weights/sinkers. Stock up on some 4 oz 6 oz and 8 oz sinkers.

The basic rig that you can modify for pretty much any type of fish in the surf is called a fishfinder rig. If you do a search on this site you will learn all about it. The same goes for how to setup your shock leader.

If you are out on A.I. during any weekends send me a PM and i'll gladly meet up with you and show you how I like to setup.