Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kmw21230

OLD INLET Spring Tournment 2010

14 posts in this topic

I've fished the tournment in 2007, 2008 but not 2009... I was thinking about giving it another try (this time with my truck), but was wondering how many of you guys will take part.

Also I dont have tons of experience in Surf Turnaments, but would like to know if you guys fish them differently than you would regular fishing. I've heard of some guys switching bait every 15 minutes.

Personally, I fish tournaments totaly different. Not sure if I am going to try the OI tourny this year. last year the prizes weren't the best. They only went to 15 place and packed the rest of the prizes up.:icon_scratch:

Will be doing the DMS Invitational in the fall tho.:glasses1:

I like the OI tourneys...because its scored on inches of total fish...with the usual big fish prizes as well. You might have to pay Morty for his "tournament specific info".....:icon_wink:

As far as im concerned....a tournament just takes your fishing level up a few notches....its that much more exciting at every little bite and nibble and hook set....."could this be the one that wins"........

I usually fish them for fun. I'd rather be fishin' then wishin' I was fishin'. Not crazy about how crowded it can get sometimes or those who decide to fish right on top of you, but that is just how it is.

I noticed that last year too Fin, not sure what was up with that. I guess maybe they carried some of the stuff over to the Fall tournament?

I've only fished a few tournaments but went into them with the expectation of learning from the other anglers and generally just have fun. I like to observe other anglers techniques in casting, types of bait and rigs. The only thing that upsets me the most about these tournaments is when anglers get frustrated because they are catching small snapper blues and leave them on the beach to rot. What’s the point? Do these guys think if they through them back they are just going to catch them again? Just my little peeve for the day. Looks like this coming weekend could shape up to be a good one.

Alway be aware of the condition of your bait and replace if it starts looking poorly no matter if it's a tourny or not.Good fishing habits remain the same,and fresh baits always works better.

I've only fished a few tournaments but went into them with the expectation of learning from the other anglers and generally just have fun. I like to observe other anglers techniques in casting, types of bait and rigs. The only thing that upsets me the most about these tournaments is when anglers get frustrated because they are catching small snapper blues and leave them on the beach to rot. What’s the point? Do these guys think if they through them back they are just going to catch them again? Just my little peeve for the day. Looks like this coming weekend could shape up to be a good one.

i'm not trying to justify all of them doing that but some of them will throw them on the beach and score the bigger ones and use the smaller ones for bait.

Id agree. I love fresh bluefish chunks for bait....

I agree nothing like fresh chunk on a line do it myself but these guys left them laying on the beach. I think if your not going to use it throw it back for another day. I ended up cutting some of it up for myself and the rest I cut up for the birds. It is just such a waste.

If saving them for bait they should be kept fresh in a cooler,they dry out in the sand.