12 posts in this topic

Hey guy, I've been wanting to add to my bait selection and Im thinkink this spring run may be the best time. Typically I use Bunker or BW's for fishing the DE surf. I have heard of people using Clams, Chab, etc... I would like to know by you die hards what baits you feel work best on the DE Surf... I would also like to know who you rig it. Are you using a fishfinded rig or something else. Thanks

During the spring I stick to Bunker and Clam if targeting stripers. If black drum are around I put out some type of crab (never been successful yet). I have never used bloodworms in the surf for stripers. I stick with fishbites for kings and spot.

I use a fishfinder rig 95% of the time. Everyonce in awhile i'll use a three way swivel with a weight tied on one end and a leader with hook on the other end.

If I think there will be fish way out there i'll put a cannonball rig on my distance rod to get that extra couple of feet.

Fishingirlpa and I did well using peeler on FF rigs in the Spring last year. Clams and bunka seem to be the most popular, but we decided to try peelers for the heck of it and had no complaints. I see they do well with BW fishing SPSP every year.

Bloodworms are "Rockfish Crack" at SPSP... I tend to fish there a lot and have done well with them. However I know the surf can be somewhat different. when you guys use clams how do you keep them on the hook.. Pics welcomed

Fishingirlpa and I did well using peeler on FF rigs in the Spring last year. Clams and bunka seem to be the most popular, but we decided to try peelers for the heck of it and had no complaints. I see they do well with BW fishing SPSP every year.

well I don't have any pics, maybe next time i go out i'll snap some.

The trick to clams is to get the freshest clams that you can. Frozen won't work. You put your hook through the foot (hard part) of the clam and put the hook through the rest of the clam once or twice. This works for me most of the time, when the clam is softer or not holding on well you can put some small rubber bands around it to hold it onto the hook, or some people use dental floss (I never tried that myself). I would assume if you have some old worn out thin braid that would work just as well to tie the clam on.

Where do you typically get the good clams from?

well I don't have any pics, maybe next time i go out i'll snap some.

The trick to clams is to get the freshest clams that you can. Frozen won't work. You put your hook through the foot (hard part) of the clam and put the hook through the rest of the clam once or twice. This works for me most of the time, when the clam is softer or not holding on well you can put some small rubber bands around it to hold it onto the hook, or some people use dental floss (I never tried that myself). I would assume if you have some old worn out thin braid that would work just as well to tie the clam on.

Where do you typically get the good clams from?

Usually any local tackle shop near the coast will have fresh clams. I frequent Harbor Tackle in West OC or Bucks place on the way to OC.

On the way in to the beach from 404...i found a seafood place with a plethora of clams....but I dont use clams as much as the other guys...Im a clam novice. I do know, however, know that sometimes slams will KILL the kingfish in the summer...but fishbites work too.

When im fishin the DE surf...I usually have a large chunk of Bunker meat on a far out rod...a big bunkah head on my baitcast with at least 8 ounces at a middle distance...then im using a lighter rod with fishbites to feel around / reel / stop / reel / stop / to try to catch bait / kings / anything else that could be the bait of choice that day....which also could catch something big as well. This is usually the rod that the cow nose ray eats...and ties up for 40 minutes.......:angry1:

I'm going to try some "GIZZARD SHAD" this year just for the heck of it. The water around here (Maryland) here is loaded with them.

When using clams I tie them on using the elastic E-Z bait tie down by Jeros tackle company. Works well.

Everything in the surf will suck up a peeler or soft crab or bloodworm.I will set up a lighter rod with small hooks and bloodworm and fish for smaller baitfish,use them whole or cut up.