7 posts in this topic

First let me start by saying hello to all. I am hoping you guys (and gals?) can help with my first coast fishing experience. I am making a trip to Colonial Beach this Memorial Day weekend to do a little fishing and since I only fish the rivers of SWVA I don’t have a clue what Ill need. I will be fishing off the pier and a head boat while there. Right now I use 3 different setups: x1 Garcia SORON 40 with 6lb braid on a 6'6" shimano crucial MH, x1 Shimano citica with 6lb braid on a 6'6" H&H MH, and x1 Garcia Ambassador 6500 on a 7'2" American Rod smith MH. I am assuming now I will need to buy new combos, but may be able to use my 6500 musky setup. Please all advise on combos (entry level $), lures, rigs, techniques, etc. will be more than appreciated! Thanks Shane

For the headboat, I would rent whatever tackle they have.

For pier fishing you can't beat an ugly stick.

What species are you going to be targeting? your gear should really be sized to your species, not location.

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t really a clue exactly what Ill be fishing for, again I float my local stream every Sunday April - November but smallmouth bass and musky are all I target. I am assuming there will be possibility to catch Rock Fish, Blues, Spot, Croaker and Flounder. I don’t know what else. I am planning on purchasing a 7'-8' Heavy rod for my STX 40 and using my musky setup as well. I think that will cover me as a beginner but what about bait/lures and fishing techniques? Will there be any fish in the smaller bays off of the Chesapeake?

There will almost always be spot and white perch around during the summer months. There will be some croaker mixed in as well. Flounder are a pretty rare catch, esp ones that are legal from the bay piers. Blues can be plentiful as the summer progresses. Rocks are hit or miss, but you can defiantly catch them. Trout is also a possibility once fall rolls around.

For bait you can use bloodworms or fishbites for spot/perch and croaker on small hooks. You can cut up the spot an perch you catch to use as bait for blues. You can liveline some of the spot for rockfish. Clam and squid are also great all around baits.

For lures I stick with gotcha plugs and tandem jigs with Gulp Swimming mullet (this is especially good at night). Any kind of hopkins spoon or pretty much anything flashy will catch blues and rockfish.

From the sounds of things, your gear should be pretty good to go, esp for spot and perch. Your Abu reel will haul in just about anything you will catch in the bay and is a great all around reel for many species.

Colonial Beach, you can get away with using the exact same tackle you use up on your stream for smallies and muskie. Maintenance is key though. Make sure you rinse and wash everything to get all the sand and salt off of it.

Thanks guys I think <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Ill</st1:place></st1:State> be ok for my first excursion now! I would be interested in knowing what color gulp mullet your using and when you’re tying the tandem jig rig how are you doing it. I use something I believe is similar but simply use two leaders, one being 12"-16" and the second being 24"-30" long attached to my running line via a snap hook. (Fresh water crappie) Same principle? Also what size hooks and pyramid sinkers should I use on my double hook bottom rigs while fishing spot/croaker/perch? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I stick to yellow,white and pink gulp.

The tandom rig I tie I just get a long piece of line and tie a jig head onto each end of the line and then tie a surgeons loop knot about 4 inches away from the center of the line. I attach that loop to a swivel tied onto my mainline. The size of the hooks are small 5 or 6 size for perch and spot and usually like a 2/0 or 3/0 circle for blues. For weights I on bay piers I carry 2-3-4-6 oz pyramids and I use the lowest weight that just barely holds bottom. 90% of the time the 2 or 3 oz does the trick, also sometimes a slow drift is good, esp if the pier isn't crowded.