13 posts in this topic

Hey did anyone ever get a fine in <acronym title="Maryland">MD</acronym> for having their front rod rack blocking the license plate?

I got nailed for $60 dollars this morning by some young hot shot cop.

Wow that bites, it hasn't happened to me yet but my tag is only partially blocked by my rack. Where were you?

My tag is only partially blocked as well, actually my rod rack sits above my license plate so its only blocked if your right in front of it.

PS It was on RT50 in Dorchester County.

That is a low blow... Were there any other factors involved with the stop?

My registration month sticker fell off my license plate and I am waiting for a new sticker from the MVA. My registration card showed the correct date and even had a temp thing from the MVA that showed I was waiting for a new sticker.

What was the initial stop for? Your sticker or blocked tag? So if for sticker yu produced the documentation proving yu were legal then he went around and checked out the rack? That just not right! Did he give any type of solution to the problem? I might have to fight that one in court if not to much of inconvenience he proly wont even show.

What was the initial stop for? Your sticker or blocked tag? So if for sticker yu produced the documentation proving yu were legal then he went around and checked out the rack? That just not right! Did he give any type of solution to the problem? I might have to fight that one in court if not to much of inconvenience he proly wont even show.

He stopped me for the reg sticker that fell off the license plate. Then he walked around the truck to look at the rack after he learned the true story about the registration sticker. Going to court isn't a big deal for me, I can spit on the courthouse from my place of employment and I used to work for a DA's office so I am somewhat familiar with court procedure.

I was mainly posting this as a warning to other MD residents who have rod racks. I don't want to see anyone else go through the trouble I am over something so stupid.

We appreciate the heads up I guess I got to drill holes in rack and transfere tag onto rack everytime I drive with the rack on, don't know of another way to avoid it, its a shame since only use about 10 times a year didnt think it was that big of deal with the police.

I dont think it is that big of a deal.You just ran across a rookie cop itching to practice his summon writing skills.Many states dont even require a front tag.

since im bored at work i decided to look up what the law is in MD. down here in va you have to have front and back. just like i expected you need to be a lawyer to understand this and its pretty much all about how you interpret law....

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>§ 13-411. Display of registration plates and tabs.

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- Statute text -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(a) Vehicles for which two registration plates required.- On a vehicle for which two registration plates are required, one plate shall be attached on the front and the other on the rear of the vehicle.

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(b) Vehicles for which one registration plate required.- On a vehicle for which one registration plate is required, the plate shall be attached on the:

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(1) Front of the vehicle for a Class F (tractor) vehicle; and

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(2) Rear of the vehicle for every other vehicle.

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>© How plates fastened; legibility.- At all times, each registration plate shall be:

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(1) Maintained free from foreign materials, including registration plate covers as defined in § 13-411.1 of this subtitle, and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(2) Securely fastened to the vehicle for which it is issued:

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(i) In a horizontal position;

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(ii) In a manner that prevents the plate from swinging; and

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(iii) In a place and position to be clearly visible.

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

wow, didn't realize it would post like that.....from reading the laws i can't tell if md is a one plate or two plate state! gotta love driving laws....