137 posts in this topic

Still very quiet on the beachfront. Seems to be nothing going except for skates. Black drum should show up anyday with hopefully some stripers towards the end of the month.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

Fished mid O.C. yesterday for about 5 hours throwing heads and chunks, nothing but two skates.

Fished mid O.C. yesterday for about 5 hours throwing heads and chunks, nothing but two skates.

No skates are better than two! :D All jokes aside, it's nice you got to get out there and get some attention from the aquatic creatures. Skate get a bad rap; but, I think I'd rather catch a few of those than nothing at all. I hate getting skunked!

Chris and I headed out for a little bit. water looked great, but held no fish for us. I caught Chris giving a pep talk to his rod. I think it went something like "come on baby, I know you can stick me a fish. What is up with you today?"

cameradisc5039-1.jpg

We did find out there was a "Stone Crab" gangbang going on with out baits. Couldn't keep the critters off the hooks.

cameradisc5042-1.jpg

LOL...Morty, looks to me Chris is pickin' but he sure ain't grinnin' :D ....Any day now...come on feeshes!!

"April 19th, 2010

Fishing Report by Sue Foster

Water Temperature (WTMP): 50°F

The first keeper flounder were caught in Ocean City aboard the Party Boat

"Bay Bee!" Blues showed up this week. The first sea trout was caught in the

surf on Assateague. The first black drum were caught on the barrier islands

of Virgina. Tautog fishing has picked up. Stripers were reported in the bay.

The bite at Indian River Inlet has turned on. Tautog fishing offshore was

good."

Early this evening, I got the itch and finally dusted off my rods and hit the beach. I stopped at Harbor Tackle and got some nice bunker (thanks for staying open for me, Terry) and a few sinker slides.

I usually re-spool my reels every spring, but I didn't have time tonight... Heck, I didn't even tie new shock leaders. I sharpened some old hooks, heaved out three rods and relaxed. About an hour on the sand, my 1509 bends over HARD and line starts peeling. I really was in shock... I was thinking, "water is too cold for big sharks... or rays... Drum aren't here right now..." After the initial run, I got this beast turned around for a few seconds and right back out she went.

As the line was steady going out, suddenly it stopped, but the fish was still going! I looked at my spool and the line had crossed over itself within the spool. I ran forwards towards the surf and luckily, she turned again and I was able to get a few more feet of line.

I fought him for about 15 more minutes until she finally surfaced and I got a good look at her... WHOAH! What a beautiful sight! Finally, I got her in the suds and up on the sand.

As I put my rod in the holder, I pulled the line to get a little slack and snap! shock leader broke!

Assateague-Striped-Bass.jpg

She measured 50.25"...Normally, I release anything over 40" however I promised my sister I would bring her home a fish tonight. She is going through chemotherapy and had "rockfish" at the hospital the other day. She said it was nothing like fish, period... So, home she came.

Right place, right time and lots of luck for me tonight.

awesome sam! congrats on the first 50!

Thanks buddy... :)

Way to Go...that thing is a HOG!!! You deserve it.

That thing is a Beaut!!!! Excellent catch Sam!...first hog I heard reported from the beachfront.

Congrads , Sam nice ,Ben looks like you are right on target again good call ,:brave::icon_rambo:

Sorry Sam I ment to post this in my last post , Best wishes to your sister I'm sure enjoyed it.:eusa_drool:

Hey , Morty nothing with wrong with a little motivational pep talk before battle lol. :icon_pidu:

ill tell you what sam, you are killin me. when i got your text last night, i couldnt' believe it. now a request for all you AI fisherman, SAVE SOME FOR ME! ill be up the 21-23 and hope that there are still some big line sides still around. congrats again on the hog!

think we are hitting the beach down here (vabeach) wed....now i need to find some fresh bunker......anyone wanna meet me half way?? :happy7:

SCHWEEEET FEEESH Sam!! Congrats! Too funny about the shock breaking but if its right, its right!

Thoughts and prayers for your sister. You're a good brother.

Beautiful fish Sam you truly deserve that fish:happy7: Because of your fish were heading out tonight.... WTG Sam keep em comin!

definately excellent fish there. thanks for the pic and report