9 posts in this topic

The Hickory Shad are are running real good on the Susky. The other day I went just below the dam, caught

6 real nice Whites, 2lbs and up, numerous Hickorys, a nice Smallmouth, and even a Walleye. Thats the first

Walleye I ever caught or even saw in that area. The Dam was really letting the water rip through the gates.

The Gizzard Shad were as thick as could be. I wonder if anyone ever uses them for Surf Fishing bait?? You

can get the Shad anywhere along the Susky. A couple real good spots are right below the dam, the mouth of Deer Creek,

and also up the creek. You need Non-Tidal license above the mouth of Deer Creek. Anyone that is not use to

fishing the Susquehannah; the water flow from the dam at Conowingo plays a large role on your productivity.

There is a Phone Number you can call to find out how the water flow will be be for that day.

Good Fishing,

Hulk

P.S.- WHERE ARE THE HERRING?????????????

Shad strips on jigs make excellent flounder bait, and the herring have come and gone, at least in central delaware.

Man dont get caught taking shad out of the susky. Big Fine. Last week DNR had officers out at the mouth of Deer Creek, the Base of the Conowingo dam and in Havre de Grace at the same time.

NOt sure, but I think you are OK taking Gizzard Shad. Best bet is to check the DNR website.

Man dont get caught taking shad out of the susky. Big Fine. Last week DNR had officers out at the mouth of Deer Creek, the Base of the Conowingo dam and in Havre de Grace at the same time.

To my knowledge it is only White and Hickory Shad that are illegal to take. Gizzard Shad (sometimes called Mud Shad) are considered a junk fish in most circles. I thought they might make good bait on the beach. It doesn't look like we are going to have much of a Herring run this year, or else I missed it.

I just looked on the DNR website and it says American (aka white) and hickory shad are CLOSED all year long. No possession.

I just looked on the DNR website and it says American (aka white) and hickory shad are CLOSED all year long. No possession.

You are 100% correct! The Gizzard Shad is a different species though.

Herring are hit or miss this year in the susky...got a bunch Tuesday in a marina. But numbers are way down from what I saw last year.

Not to hijack the thread but in Potomac the hickories are still there but beginning to tail off. I caught a bunch of hickories on Sunday and today went out on the river and caught several whites and a couple of hickories. They are a blast!