7 posts in this topic

I'm leading a bunch of cub scouts to Sandy Point SP for a weekend camping trip over Mother's Day weekend (we thought the best gift we could give the moms was geting the boys out of the house!)

I was wondering if I could get a little advice for fishing at the park. I know that its supposed to be great for stripers in the spring, but I was wondering about shore access for 30 or so youngsters (and of course some dads). I'd like to make sure our boys get a chance to fish, but I also want to be careful we don't ruin anyone else's day. Any pointers would be appreciated on where to go. Also, I was thinking of just getting blood worms but I'm open to any suggestions. I've never fished in that area of the bay and I want to make sure the boys at least have a chance of cathing something wheter it be stripers or perch or whatever else might be around. Thanks!!

SPSP, is great for Rockfish in the spring. By May-June you should also see some blues, spot, croaker and perch. I would say find a spot and try your luck. If you're just looking for pullage I would use bloodworms on a top\bottom rig. If you want to have some fun, cut up one of the spots you catch (im sure you'll catch tons) and use it for bait when the sun goes down..

it's always nice when the boys actually catch fish...we were at elk neck the same time last year and didn't do so well. so i'm glad to hear there will probably be some spot around. always fun (i still like catching them too) maybe we'll have a little fish fry

usually we try to get them to sleep and a couple of us dads sneak out for some night fishing....will defiantely keep some spot for that!

That is a kind thing you are doing for those kid,and also there mothers.30 kids and dads is going to be crowding the jetty (were most people fish)along with other anglers.you may have to fish them in shifts.may want to call and get advice from the rangers.not sure how much beach they allow fishing on.cant go wrong with bloodworms,but they are $10 a dozen,night crawlers will be less expensive.

5852a5916da73_FLOUNDERFISHING004.jpg.9aa

,night crawlers will be less expensive

Good learning chance for Me... the " Night Crawlers " work fine for salt water ?...

I see some dudes using the Night C. but I never did for salt water.

If it work fine... great lest $$$

Thanks,

Anybody fished SPState Park on opening day from the shore?? I contemplated the idea for this saturday....just sit back and watch the mayhem of boats out in front.

i was thinking of night crawlers, just didn't know how well they'd work. gonn put together a bunch of rigs for the boys....they wiped out my supply last time we did one of these trips! but its always fun...at least one of the boys (or dads) always catches his first fish. our plan is to rotate the boys...half hiking half fishing. we have a few of them that can fish all day, but most are only into it for half an hour. the last thing i want to do is ruin someone else's fishing time..